How do you discover new music?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Re: How do you discover new music?

Post by Sabina G »

I didn't know about that Pandora site. I always go in youtube, but I think I'll try that website you mentioned.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I mostly discover new music through the radio, on stations or at times of the day when they play new songs. I have found a lot of new music or bands I enjoy by listening to radio stations I don't usually tune in to as well.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Honestly youtube.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I like to see what is recommended on Spotify after I listen to my favorite artists. After an album, they will usually start a playlist of similar artists and I usually find some really nice things I like there.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Since I'm a teacher that likes to talk to my students, they inform of what's new in the music industry. We do not always share the same interests; however, they keep me updated on that matter.
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

I switch between Pandora, Spotify, Youtube and Jamendo. I use Pandora and Jamendo the most. I rarely listen to the radio anymore but I check the Billboard online every now and then.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Rosey481
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rosey481 »

I discover new music by going on YouTube t, to see what different music is trending at the moment.
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

Haven't really thought about that.. Usually through friends or movies.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I typically discover new music through youtube as well as the Pandora app on my phone. iHeartRadio is a great app too.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Friends, Family, YouTube, Pandora, IHeartRadio, and then I also discover songs through different fanfictions
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

maybe online or music channels
:tiphat:
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Barbiedole »

My kid bro does the discovery for me. He discovers and downloads and I just transfer them to my library. Funny enough, we have the same likes. Lol
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
wavecrash
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wavecrash »

1. I use TV shows and movies for this purpose. It's an old habit that I have. It has been the most productive method to discover music that is new to me.

You are watching something, and than bam!, comes along this music from a perfect stranger or a band of perfect strangers, sending shivers down your spine, making the hair stand up on your arm. Eyes locked on the screen and ears tuned in to the music, you start groping your surroundings for pen and paper. The old drill with a bit of Shazam at times spicing things up with this funny feeling of safety it gives you the moment said perfect stranger becomes unanonymous; feelings of gratitude and fondness rushing in, making you question whether you owe the better part of this to serendipity or to sheer luck or to where consumerism has gotten us, or to all three at once.

2. Active google search with highly descriptive query content and high use of filter.

3. Youtube recommendations or basic youtube search of compilations, where listening to a bit of what's uploaded gives me ideas about the user. If I like their uploads, I'll continue listening to their lists of songs often made in a certain genre, through to the end and then use Youtube's own recommendations.

If not, I enter some song I really like and use Youtube suggestions until I see something foreign to me.

4. Lurking in the forums until I spot someone with lots of similarities to me who makes me think the kind of music we tend to enjoy would also turn out similar, and then skim through their messages until I find some sort of thread in which they have contributed, often with more than one recommendation. Then, I follow these people.

5. A periodic checking of late night non-stop radio music being rotated in specific channels that I've come to like. There will often be something in it for me.

I don't do friends, magazines etc anymore. I don't do paid channels with a vast database of music either. They're too easy to get lost in.
Goaldiggergirl
Currently Reading: My Sister, My Friend
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Goaldiggergirl »

I listen to the radio and when that song catches my attention, i'll search it to youtube and spotify. But lately i don't like the musics. I dunno why
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I discover most new music through the radio or by using pandora.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden

Return to “Poetry & Music”