Is Rap Poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Anisa_Sadaf
Currently Reading: The Astonishing Color of After
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anisa-sadaf.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Re:

Post by Anisa_Sadaf »

sleepydumpling wrote: 28 Mar 2008, 06:06 It is most definitely poetry. And like all other poetry, there is quality and crap!
True. Raps that have a deep meaning and come from within are my favorite kind. This Hollywood movie called 'Gully Boy' had the best raps. They are in Hindi and the emotion behind them just hits you hard.
naturalmama81
Currently Reading: Different
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naturalmama81.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by naturalmama81 »

This is an interesting question and I was just discussing this with my husband earlier this week.

By definition, I suppose rap is poetry: "literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm" (Google definition).

Personally, I don't find rap to be at all melodious or inspiring; for me, it is not "poetic." However, it is an expression of feelings and "special intensity" is most certainly present!

I suppose it all boils down to a matter of personal preference. :D
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Yes, by definition rap is poetry. I think the only difference between the more common face of poetry and rap is the fact that rap includes music and other types of poetry don't unless called for.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I think so because it is hard to compose rap without a certain type of writing process like in poetry
April Ruvs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ruvs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by April Ruvs »

Rap is poetry if given in the right context and not filled with the nonsense that most rappers rap about today, where nothing useful is taught other than dissing one another, promiscuity and so on.
"Trust the wisdom of your soul it knows the way" unknown
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

I definitely think it is. It started out as activism and activism is a story, activism is poetry. I don't find mumble very appealing but lyrical raps are definitely meant to move you!
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

I believe not, they are just words assembled in lyrical way. Most don't conform to poetry tradition like rhyme etc. The language in itself is not beautiful and artistic. I think other forms like spoken word are closer to poetry.
mr mister
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mr mister »

I intend to be a rapper myself and it is not as easy as many people think. You have to establish flow and meaningful lyrics to engage listeners. I noticed that many people implied that lyrics including guns and violence are not real poetry. While I do not generally listen to songs all about guns and shooting, and I certainly do not want violence in our world, I still believe that it is poetry as they are expressing themselves through their music. The Google definition for poetry is "literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm." Rap most certainly does this, even mumble rap, which I am an opponent to, could be argued to be an expression of feelings and ideas using rhythm.
JesurumBooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by JesurumBooks »

some artist's ways to sing or rap their "verces" could very much be considered an art..
ginger7apodaca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by ginger7apodaca »

I think it is poetry. The way person can express there feelings and the inner deepiest thoughts or even just a way of sharing what has happened to themselfs through life experience yes rap is a poetry of self expression.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

Poetry is real writing, written directly from the heart to the page. Most people nowadays consider poetry as a couple paragraphs that rhyme. This is a true shame because throughout antiquity, poetry was the pure art form that spoke from the soul to the soul. Music could do it as well, but poetry was unique. It has always depicted emotions, nature, and even some ordinary objects in a way that normal language simply could not. Deep thoughts and feelings were able to be conveyed in just a couple of words. Rap can be poetry, but for the most part it is so far from what poetry was and is that it can’t be compared. Most rappers just put some ideas and objects together, throw some swear words in, and call it poetry, but that would be an insult to the purity and beauty in poems. Not just anyone can be a poet. Rich and poor, old and young, male or female, does not matter. A poet requires a deeper look on reality, and an eye that sees through the common haze of modern lunacy to what really matters. I know poetry when I feel it because it creates a feeling deep within me. I freeze up with emotion, and when I read the poem aloud, it takes my will to keep from weeping. That is how I know what is poetry and what is just a mockery.
Thus, in my opinion rap is not poetry.
lennycamacho2019

Post by lennycamacho2019 »

clarebear wrote: 27 Mar 2008, 09:32 Its so refreshing to hear people with an open minded opinion on something as controvercial as rap. I personally really like some rap music. Some of it is very intelligent and takes a great amount of talent to write. I particually like politically slanted rap.

My favourites would be Jay Z, Kayne West, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Eminiem, NWA, Public Enemy.
I agree.

Writing takes a lot of effort and hard work, and writing great quality Hip-Hop lyrics is not the exception. The expertise developed over time by MCs, and their drive to deliver their very personal life stories make Hip-Hop poetry in motion. Great examples are found in the likes of Black Thought (who delivered a ten minute free style cypher which is something that had never done before and which has become legendary), and Immortal Technique (whose lyrics condemn social injustice and gives a voice to those that don't have one to deliver their message)
Daviddan427

Post by Daviddan427 »

I believe it is in some ways poetry, some artist
Use it to express their lives and feelings. The other rappers that don’t do that have rhythm in their music and repetition.
Blu1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Blu1983 »

Is rap poetry most defintely as i believe its an expression of ones self.
MargaretShackelford

Post by MargaretShackelford »

Linda wrote: 12 Mar 2007, 17:30 i think rap is poetry. i listen to rap and it isn't all about gun violence and money and cars. there are alot of smart rappers out there who speak about world issues. they tackle subjects like poverty and discrimination in verse. they are no less poetic in my mind then someone who writes poems about flowers and meadows. rap is poetry they are connected because they are one in the same. rap is poetry to music.
Yes you are absolutely right. I agree with you.

Return to “Poetry & Music”