Is Rap Poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
sshanmo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sshanmo.html

Re: Is Rap Poetry?

Post by sshanmo »

All rap music is not poetry and all rappers are not poets. There are some rappers that are poets and are referred to as lyricists. For instance (in my opinion), there is Lauryn Hill, Mos Def, and J. Cole just to name a few. Their lyrics actually have meaning behind them if you listen closely.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Rap when it first was invented was poetry. The rap that we listen to now is just words with interesting sound in the background. Rap has lost its poetic influence unfortunately.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

I really do believe it is. I believe that it is poetry in motion. Speed up the beat and music. There you go.
wroteyou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wroteyou »

yeah the roots of it for sure. but then ... how is singing in a song different from a poem? just the sining voice is applied to it. rappers also affect a voice.
Jaani A

Post by Jaani A »

Yes :D
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I definitely think so, the rappers poetically express what's inside of them as rappers do.
Sonireallyam
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Sonireallyam »

It depends on the message and the body of the content, so yes, rap can be poetry.
Pknjo
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Pknjo »

It depends on what's rap for you, so I think it's mostly subjective.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I can`t stand rap i think its awful but yes its a type of poetry bad poetry but still poetry,
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Gabyap
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Gabyap »

I think it's the message and the stylistic devices that determine that the most.
personwholovesbooks
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by personwholovesbooks »

It is! Rap is poetry.
It's like a poem with beats and sounds added. Oh and don't forget the tempo.
"I've learned so much from my mistakes.
I'm thinking of making a few more."
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Barbiedole »

Rap is definitely poetry. Listen to the rhymes and rhythms. There's also the theme. Then, define poetry for me.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Kalico200

Post by Kalico200 »

:tiphat: I believe rap is an expression of one's life some people write poetry about love in the wilderness but some people live in the city we're hardships is all day no I'm not saying there's not hardships out in the country cuz I live in the country and I've been through it but I do however believe that what one goes through what they write is there poetry poetry to some Maybe trash talk to others but that's their life and that's their feelings and that's what they've been through and that's what they want and dream of or have had to deal with that's their poetry you can't discredit poetry just because you don't connect with it :oops:
YT2

Post by YT2 »

Rappers in the late 70s and early 80s took their time to express how they felt. Their lyrics were funny and joyful. So I would consider early rap to be the true form of poetry.

Today's rappers to not care about the quality of their lyrics. All they care about is the money. Today's rap is not poetry. Today's rap is used as a way to dumb down society.
janeelala

Post by janeelala »

Yes it is a poetry. The content of a rap whether good or bad can be considered a poetry because it brings out the emotion of the writer as well as reach out to people.

Return to “Poetry & Music”