Is Rap Poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
MorganKnightOfficial
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganknightofficial.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Re: Is Rap Poetry?

Post by MorganKnightOfficial »

Not a chance! Just because something rhymes, it doesn't mean it's poetry!
AnandaSquire
Currently Reading: The Nouveau Riche
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by AnandaSquire »

Some rap is poetry, for example, anything done by Kendrick Lamar is Poetry to me.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by victoriasimons »

I definitely think so. I've studied a lot of experimental poetry and spoken word during my degree and sometimes think that more artistic energy has gone into rap lyrics. Some raps that explore societal and ethical issues give me chills. The combination of witty lines, a powerful delivery and manipulation of rhythm makes rap a great vehicle for art.

In addition, I'm curious as to why other commenters discredit rap songs that centre around violence and sex. Are these songs not also representative of a community, do their voices not have value? For many young people, these are the topics that have always surrounded them and rap can provide an outlet for that. Just my thoughts, I wonder what others think?
MilaThegoddess
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milathegoddess.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MilaThegoddess »

Definitely!

Like poetry, rap is is an expression of feelings or ideas.
The rhythm and intensity make it art.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Yes. I think there is some hesitation to call rap poetry because of the content of typical rap lyrics. We need to remember that as a historically black genre rap will generally discuss and explore issues specific to black people. When black rappers seemingly brag about money, status, and drugs, it is because they are celebrating the lifestyles historically denied to them and situations the government has created (e.g., the Nixon administration introducing crack cocaine into black communities to prevent their political growth). Rap to me is just a fun genre, especially because of its focus on wordplay.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I think it's very similar because it uses some of the same language techniques that are used in poetry but there is a difference. I don't think rap is always just as good written down as it is performed whereas poetry is good both ways.
Jeyronm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jeyronm »

Rap is a special talent like everyone is saying it’s poetry I agree and I also know it’s lifestyle too because some people have a natural talent in da rap game and they tell what they going threw irl
Nana2_
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Nana2_ »

Yeah! A rap may be a poetry of course. Even the rythm of them both are kind ot the same.
MyNameIsBatMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mynameisbatman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MyNameIsBatMan »

I believe rap is poetry. Poetry can be anything the writer wants it to be. Whether it's about their everyday life, tragedy, or just how rich they are. Rap has verses, rhymes, and rhythm just like any poem. However, sometimes it doesn't seem like it because words are repeated too often or the lyrics don't make sense. One can debate whether a poem has to make sense. I for one think that poems should make at least a bit of sense. So many rap songs have words that are only put together because they rhyme.
Charles Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-smith.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Charles Smith »

Rap is definilty an advanced form of poetry. Not only does it need to preserve the rhyme/visual of a poem , but a rapper needs to perfect additional aspects such as tone and pace, making rap more complex than classic poetry.
saracristina1998
Favorite Book: Narnia chronicles The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Currently Reading: Nightlord sunset (The Nightlord Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saracristina1998.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by saracristina1998 »

I really do believe that rap is the simplification of poetry, meaning it is actually easier to make it right. Poetry is meant to show and express a feeling, just like every kind of art. The way rap turns it into an easier kind of poetry is for people to be able to understand the artist's feelings. It is more tolerable because of the metric system.

Nowadays there's this new have of music called Trap. To me, that portrays Instagram short posts that want to be poetry but are just pretty, superficial, thoughts.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've been wondering that for quite some time, at least ever since I heard the following line from the song "It Takes Two" by MC Rob Base & DJ Eazy Rock "Like the way that I rhyme at a show/The reason why, man, I don't know/So let's go, 'cause" I mean, if rappers don't even know, how can I possibly even understand? They mention the movie "The Wiz" in that song which is like "The Wizard of Oz" but with African folks - Judy Garland who played Dorothy is supposedly from Grand Rapids, MN - maybe it was just a "shout out" to Minnesota and has nothing to do with how they rap. The problem with a lot of rap being poetry is that it is so fun to dance to and then the poetry aspect of it gets missed. Probably depends on the song.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
CreateEnergy81
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CreateEnergy81 »

It's an art form and poetry is an art form. As others have said there is some good and some not so good but there is a hidden meaning in a lit of music that takes on hints of poetry. It is not poetry because it rhymes but because of the message in some of it. Several new artist today I do not see their work as poetry because there is way too much sexual content but if you would venture to listen to some of Tupac's work such as Brenda's got a Baby you can see what I mean. He also wrote poetry and has a book of his work.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I do believe so.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

In order to answer this question I guess you have to ask yourself what your definition of poetry is. In my opinion, yes it is! Poetry can come in many forms. Rap is one of the most unique forms of poetry I have ever encountered. It took me awhile to grow accustomed to it, but I have grown to really like it.

Return to “Poetry & Music”