Is Rap Poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
jhop666
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is Rap Poetry?

Post by jhop666 »

yes I think rap is poetry because it tells a story whether it be good, bad happy or sad. everybody has a story to tell its up to the audience on what they want to hear, but at the same time we have to decipher the difference between just a rap song or poetry.
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moodykelz_10 »

I think so absolutely,

I think it's today's version of poetry, if you were to read the lyrics without a beat it would be a rhyming poem making a beat with it makes it rap but it plays with words and talks about issues like some of the great poems do.

obviously like all types of art there is terrible poetry and there is terrible rap like gucci gang wouldn't be considered anything history making issues but its silly and some poems are nonsense and just fun.
amandagreen
Currently Reading:

Post by amandagreen »

Subjectivity speaking, it’s up to listener to decipher the statement. My personal opinion; sometimes.
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

I’ve always thought that rap can be poetry (or poetry can be rapped if you like) but it isn’t necessarily! In the same way, song lyrics can be poetry but they can also not be.

Basically, in my head (and therefore this has no basis in objective fact 😂) rap, song lyrics, and poetry/spoken word are different things that can overlap Venn diagram wise.
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

Depends on the lyrics. Some rappers are good lyricists because they mixed the metaphor and accurate words to describe how they went through in their lives regardless of how worst or good their lives are. However, I annoyed sometimes when rapper nowadays talked about sex, drugs and stuff and they repeated the same lines over and over.
Squidnnneyyy99+
Currently Reading: Sadie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-squidnnneyyy99.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Squidnnneyyy99+ »

I don't necessarily sway one way or another. I usually choose the gray area of all topics because I feel like all sides are correct in some way. If you think about it, Tupac wrote one of my favorite poems, A Rose that Grew from Concrete. If you have never read it, I highly recommend it (It's only a few stanza's long). This shows that many rappers have the talent it takes to be a successful poet...

On the other hand, to classify rap as poetry, would require me to classify all music as a form of poetry. I honestly don't have a specific side in this matter, but I hope that I could open up some eyes to one of my favorite poems! :wink:
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I think that rap is poetry. If it is violent or says bad things about women, other races, or anything that is disrespectful, then no. It really depends on the rapper.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Not all rap is poetry but there are definitely some rap songs that I won't argue are very poetic. There are actually a lot (can't name them off the top of my head) that delve into some very deep and concerning topics and the lyrics put this creative spin on them. There are some I could have gone without hearing, but it shouldn't be the case where one bad apple spoils the bunch.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I definitely think rap is and should be considered poetry. Is all of it poetry? Definitely not, unless it’s really bad poetry but some of it has really great writing and rhythm behind it.
Loweryt07

Post by Loweryt07 »

Depends on who it is but some rappers I got to say yes
Remo_Blacc60

Post by Remo_Blacc60 »

This is a interesting topic. I personally love rap. Its one of my favorite genres. I believe that tupac was a poet who expressed his poetry in his music. I believe alot of the older rappers are poets. Back in the run dmc days rap was poetry. Usually rap lyrics rhyme and rap is also know as rhymes. Also in my opinion if you don't rhyme when you rap you have to atleast make sense. Alot of these bubble gum rappers are just that, a load of garbage. Rap is suppose to have a message and the correct delivery to be considered quality rap. So yes I think Rap is poetry.
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

As many other people have said, I think rap is a form of poetry. Lots of the rap that I have listened to is about their personal life and life lessons they have learned. Not everything is about violence and drugs like many people think. Overall, rap is a form of poetry.
read_STRONG

Post by read_STRONG »

Rap is poetry. It's basically storytelling about what rappers (or authors) about how they see the world and everything that goes around them with their own eyes. I personally love hip-hop music, especially during the '90s, where I was brought upon it. Each one of them has their own personal story to tell through music which is very subliminal.
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by timur777 »

Yes, it is a musical poetry. Poetry accompanied by music. The meeting of energy of music and beauty of poetry. Powerful mixture
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

Rap is poetry however like poetry not all of it is GOOD poetry.
I also think a lot of what falls under rap in the market these days is not poetry or rap.

Return to “Poetry & Music”