Do you think of poems in your head?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Re: Do you think of poems in your head?

Post by npandit »

I write it down, and then go over it again and again while editing. During the process the meter and rhythm gets stuck in my head, and it's hard to write anything without a rhythm afterward...so I have to shake it off! :)
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I've thought of entire poems in my head. They weren't very long, though, and I usually forgot them if I didn't write them down RIGHT AWAY. I posted a poem on this site that I though up in less than a minute. Of course, unless you're Mozart, nothing comes out brilliant on the first try...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Madcap Syzygii
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Madcap Syzygii »

Yeah, sure. I think of poems in my head, and sometimes write them down. I think of the poem by Edgar Allen Poe "Beautiful Annabelle Lee," and I think to myself, "Such a great poem." Then I spot a piece of paper and write the words down. HaHa! I'm kidding! I know what you asked ;-) I really have to think when I write my poetry. I have to write it down, think some more, edit, write the rest, edit, and then finish. Yeah, it takes me a while to make a poem. A story is easier for me, although, it's hard for me to finish those. If I could, I think my brother and I would already have a book of short stories written together if we could just get ourselves to finish them! :x Eh hem...got a little ahead of myself. Hold on...Need. To. Catch. Up!! *RUNNING* Phew! Here I am! "Now, where was I? Ah yes! The attack of the incredibly deadly viper!" Oh darn, I was wondering why that sounded so good. It isn't mine! HAHA! :mrgreen:
Laine32

Post by Laine32 »

the words begin flowing through my head and I run to the computer to type it all out. It runs from my head, to my fingers, then to the screen. It ordinarily happens after I've stayed up all night. It seems to be those moments that my mind gets all poetic :roll: Sometimes, after I nap, I wake up to find that whatever I was thinking was absurd, but a tad fun :D
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Ha, ha! Happens to all of us from time to time!
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Adamaja456
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamaja456.html

Post by Adamaja456 »

For me, I usually have an overall idea that comes into my head for a poem, but not word for word what I want to put onto paper. I flush out the thought by writing rough sketches and then go back and articulate the substance and form to create the poem.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

When it is really a good poem that is coming to me, it is like getting possessed. It just takes over my head and keeps pushing and insisting until I have uncovered the whole thing. Sometimes I don't write the whole thing down until it is basically complete, sometimes I write down each stanza once it's complete while the following one is still knocking at the door.

This is not to say I don't tinker and edit a bit. But the basic experience is that it just "comes to me." And if it's not coming, boy, anything I try to force out is going to be garbage. :) I guess that's why the ancients used to talk about the Muse. In my experience, it's really true. You can't do anything with the Muse. Or another word for it might be grace.

Sometimes I'm lying in bed, exhausted and trying to sleep, and at THAT moment, here comes a poem. Then I have two choices. I can get up, wait for it become complete and write it down, or I can try to memorize it and hope that I still remember it in the morning. This is annoying, but maybe it has to do with the limberness of our mind at the moment of falling asleep.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

It makes me think of Mendelssohn, who, when he wrote a letter to his family, friends, dog, whoever, about his new idea, the "Hebrides Overture," mentioned the opening bars as a collective "nuisance that will not give me any peace!" I can definitely see where you're coming from, HOLDONthere. A witty username, by the way. :)

-Edgar Allan Poe
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

Sometimes. :mrgreen:
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I often come up with poetry when I am trying to sleep. It just flows and I cannot seem to stop it unless I sit up and write it down. But that doesn't happen often.
annashunk

Post by annashunk »

When I write my poetry I tend to do both I think of what sounds good together then I write it down. When I am all alone I usually sing what I will write down!
Bwaugaman93

Post by Bwaugaman93 »

I usually think about it in my head and then if I like it I will right it down. See if I can write more to it if I can't I just leave it as is.
It can be if im going through at that moment. Even if its just a little bit of the poem its fine at least i let what was bothering me out.

I mainly love to read poems now then write them to see what others come up with how beautiful it sounds and how amazing it goes together. Goes with the flow of what they are talking about.
Cswright
Favorite Author: Carmen Desoasa
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswright.html
Latest Review: Two Months and Three Days by Tatiana Vedenska
fav_author_id: 32351

Post by Cswright »

Personally, I have always sat down at a blank piece of paper and just let the words flow. That is what poetry is to me. Just letting it all flow out of the pen with fever and with as much feeling as possible. I feel that if I planned out the poem completely before writing than the original feeling and intention of the poem gets lost and that is the whole reason for poetry in my opinion....hard and real emotion.
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

I don't write poetry but I think lots of about beauty and nature.Especially about kids poems.
Michelleynn1981

Post by Michelleynn1981 »

I sit and think about what’s going on I start the title in my head and then start writting

Return to “Poetry & Music”