Does mental illness produce best creative material?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Kayzed
Currently Reading: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayzed.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Does mental illness produce best creative material?

Post by Kayzed »

i believe yes. A state of mind especially that related to mental illnesses can result in a higher expression ability if in the right environment. i believe one's lack, troubles and mental space often resulting from mental illnesses- both mild and not too severe can be a catalyst for a unique way of expression
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

It doesn't necessarily mean that having a mental illness can make you produce the best creative material. Although art and creative works can help you release the tension and what's happening inside your head, especially if you have a mental illness. Having a mental illness is hard, and can sometimes be dangerous. Art can be a way of expression for people who suffer from it, but it doesn't really equate to creating a great work. There is still talent, and the perseverance to make your craft the best that it can be.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Mental illness is definitely a double-edged sword when it comes to any form of creative work. In one sense, the experience and emotions can be so hindering as to producing anything coherent. However, that raw experience can give insight into things perhaps no neurotypical person could ever reach. I don't think we should romanticize those with mental illnesses as tortured geniuses, however. I think genius and illness have very interesting interplay, but one doesn't always cause or suit the other.
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

I believe that people who suffer from depression or have a type of mental illness are more capable of being creative especially in the music and poetry genres. It may be more difficult to express when they are mid episode of said problem but I believe they have the ability to show others a different way to see the world. If they have the courage, despite the problems that arise from these issues, to create and show their perspectives then the products that result from that different perspective can be extraordinary.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Not all the mentally ill produce creativity, and not all the creatives are mentally ill.
Sure thing mental illness produces sides of us that are way deeper and more real. But it is not a necessity to creativity.
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html

Post by Iconicsmt »

I agree that not everyone with a mental illness is a beacon of creativity, although I will say (from experience) that in many instances it does help. We’re always told to “think outside the box,” when it comes to creating, right? Well, I’ve never seen any box. Writing, visual arts, acting, etc., has always been emotionally driven. I think the true dictator of creativity is how hindered one feels when it comes to expression; sadly, that’s why drugs become an intricate part of so many creative processes. But mental illness can affect everyone differently — some afflicted become introverted, some more extroverted, some go back and forth in manic spells.... Basically, I think the best way to say it is that some can harbor their illness to perpetuate wonderful creative ideas, while some can barely function on a coherent level. The important thing is to nurture where possible and learn from everyone.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I found that my bad moods/depression definitely bled into my work. Reading them later, I found my main character depressed and bland.
However, I ultimately think writing while depressed was a good thing. I hate writing explicitly about my feelings/moods, but letting them out by letting them bleed into a different story I think really helped me. I suspect it's one of the reasons I'm doing so much better.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
BilBini
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BilBini »

Not all people have depression but there is a bunch people who thinks they are depressed but they are just sad or had a bad day, I had depression since I was 6 to 7 years old (now I'm 18).
Depression destroys mental health and doesn't let you do anything physically and emotionally.
It destroys the good habits like going to gym or reading or writing songs/books/poems...
I went sometimes to thinking of ending my life, but thank god my dad noticed that and started helping me.
So at the end, don't ever think depression/mental illness could make you more productive.
BilBini

Post by BilBini »

Last thing some people when they realize that they have it since they are kids they start trying to change it by writing, drawing and make creative things and that may help them pass it at the same time make think better than other people who are professionals at the domain they are in.
Warona

Post by Warona »

Man I didn't expect this question but I'll have to say yes on that one mostly based on my experience. I realised that whenever I'm in some typa mood either good or bad but not like the normal type, I always produce the best work. Or at least above average hehe. But yes most of the poems and musics and all those stuff that I write I wrote them with a certain emotion behind them so to me its the best work. I mean yes you can write something with a plain basic mood but man try writing stuff on a broken heart then you'll make a banger
prakritisingh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prakritisingh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by prakritisingh »

Its what most people like to think. But I do think that sane people too can create masterpieces. Its depends on individual how they like to work. Some like to be consumed by their work so much that others think that they are mentally ill. Others work in organised manner and achieve things. Its just an individual thing I think.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I have suffered from depression since I was young. Music helped me survive myself. Music allows people to have a gateway to share their feelings without having to go through the awkward conversations and the feeling of not being understood. Some of the greatest songs are written through spouts of mental anguish and mental prosperity. Music in my opinion, defines what’s happening in the life of its writer.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Honestly hard life experiences produce the best poetry. I mean life is not all sunshine and rainbows so the best poetry is the one filled with truth. The ones that make you stop and think. Poetry that you don't just read and forget but sticks with you.
Kgomotso Maje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgomotso-maje.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by Kgomotso Maje »

When I'm depressed, i cant create anything good even when i try. But when I'm happy, my creative juices flow.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

I think mental illness can make one produce the best creative material. I have read some books by authors who experience psychosis, and the works are deep and creative since they are inspired by what we normally don't see in our regular life.

Return to “Poetry & Music”