Have you ever been to a poetry reading?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
cooltodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Have you ever been to a poetry reading?

Post by cooltodd »

Have you ever been to a poetry reading or spoken word event? What was it like? Did you enjoy it? Do you want to go to another?

If you haven't gone to one, do you want to?
Linda

Post by Linda »

i have gone to one. there pretty nice, i mean i myself would never take part in one. but same goes for like music if i could sing i wouldn't go out there to some coffee place and sing for a crowd. it's a nice idea tho. There's this place in my town Cool Beans that holds like open mic nights for poetry and music and stuff i've been to it a couple of times. it gives me hope my generation has some talents and something to contribute.

im a sucker for a guy who can play an acoustic guitar tho lol you cannot imagine how bad i want a really good song written for me.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
knightss

Post by knightss »

i can write a song about you linda.. i can't guarentee that it'll be really good or even good for that matter lol
Linda

Post by Linda »

wow i love you now....see how easy that was.
awelker

Post by awelker »

i haven't been to a poetry reading but there has been talk about starting a poetry club at my school. which i think is pretty cool because we really don't have cool clubs like that. other than student council and NHS there aren't anyother clubs. the only other club is a book club that my english teacher started this year. its pretty cool. there is only about 6 of us, 4 students and 2 teachers that meet on a semi-regular basis and talk about the book.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Linda

Post by Linda »

thats cool. yea my school has a literary magazine and anyone can submit work to it. its pretty chill...but has nothing to do with poetry readings whatev. ha my bust lmao
Niphredil

Post by Niphredil »

Iv been to a few poetry readings at college, by....god names are hard, erm...bernard maclaverty (sp?) though thats more short stories, cliff yates, toby litt though again that was a novel. But my favourite by far was in Lancaster's Duke Theatre and was by Wendy Cope, who is one of my very favourite poets :). That was amazing, and was basically her reading out some of her poems (from books that you could, conveniently, buy in the intermission) and then later a question and answer session, followed by a book signing for all those books you bought at the intermission!

Theres something special about hearing poems read by their author...

And Linda, I know what you mean about the acoustic guitar! :D
daclawson2

Post by daclawson2 »

I actually went to one two days ago. It was a festival where first time authors read from their book. The poet was Sharmila Voorakarra and there was a fiction author and creative non-fiction author as well. I would reccomed Sharmila's book Fire Wheel. We actually got to talk with her in class about publishing (in an actual book, not online) and the process of putting a transcipt together. I would suggest the Creative Nonficiton writer's book (his name escapes me) A Good War is Hard to Find
daclawson2

Post by daclawson2 »

I actually went to one two days ago. It was a festival where first time authors read from their book. The poet was Sharmila Voorakarra and there was a fiction author and creative non-fiction author as well. I would reccomed Sharmila's book Fire Wheel. We actually got to talk with her in class about publishing (in an actual book, not online) and the process of putting a transcipt together. I would suggest the Creative Nonficiton writer's book (his name escapes me) A Good War is Hard to Find
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

I have never been to a poetry reading, but I have heard people read a poems at other events sometimes. Also, I have watched videos of people reading their poems.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Have I ever been to a poetry reading?

No, but I did once use a massive poetry book as a doorstop. :roll: I just cannot seem to appreciate poetry unless it comes in the form of a disgusting limerick, in which case I'm all ears.
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

I have never been to one, there isn't too many in my area, but I always have wanted to go to one. I did use to watch that show on HBO though, Slam Poetry or something like that...? Does that count?!

:lol:
onewrite

Post by onewrite »

Yes! I have been to a Poetry Reading. I suppose there may be more interesting ones. The one I went to I somehow found a bit boring.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Niphredil wrote:Iv been to a few poetry readings at college, by....god names are hard, erm...bernard maclaverty (sp?) though thats more short stories, cliff yates, toby litt though again that was a novel. But my favourite by far was in Lancaster's Duke Theatre and was by Wendy Cope, who is one of my very favourite poets :). That was amazing, and was basically her reading out some of her poems (from books that you could, conveniently, buy in the intermission) and then later a question and answer session, followed by a book signing for all those books you bought at the intermission!

Theres something special about hearing poems read by their author...

And Linda, I know what you mean about the acoustic guitar! :D
Same here, I also do a lot of poetry reading in my college, since I'm in Language and Literature Faculty. My favourite so far would be Emily Dickinson. Her poems about love are very romantic, so are her cynical words in some other poems about feminism and broken heart.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

If you like poetry but poetry readings tend to bore you. I recommend you check out spoken word and performance poetry. These are poems that are made to be performed. You can start out by watching my favorite spoken word poem, First Writing Since by Suheir Hammad. Also, check out one of my other favorites, I Wanna Hear a poem.

Thanks,
Scott
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Poetry & Music”