Raymond Carver, anyone?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
stbernard4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Raymond Carver, anyone?

Post by stbernard4 »

I suppose I have been living under a rock - but I just recently picked up a copy of "What we Talk About When We Talk About Love".

I'm impressed, does anyone have any comments on Carver or recommendations for his other works?
Peter-CB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Peter-CB »

Try Where Water Comes Together with Other Water (poetry), Another Path to the Waterfall (poetry), or Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? (fiction). Cathedral (fiction) is widely regarded as his best work, although the unfinished Elephant is probably my favorite of his short fiction collections (but a bad place to start if you're just introducing yourself to the man).

By my count, he uses the same image of a woman leaving her man encountering, on her way out of the house, horses wandering in fog three times throughout his body of work. His life story is rather intriguing, and his last poem--"Late Fragment"--nearly made my heart stop when I read it. An excerpt from another favorite of his poems ("Cheers"):

...I intend to take all the time in this world,
consider everything, even miracles,
yet remain on guard, ever
more careful, more watchful,
against those who would sin against me,
against those who would steal vodka,
against those who would do me harm.

Return to “Poetry & Music”