Music or poetry

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
elisabethae
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Sundays at Tiffanys
Currently Reading: Crossfire Series
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisabethae.html
Latest Review: "Only If For A Nigjt" by J Alfred
fav_author_id: 3251

Music or poetry

Post by elisabethae »

Favorite song and or poem?? I'm interested :)
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I can't possibly pick a favorite, but I have one that's both ... "American Pie." The poetry is so great, really intriguing, all kinds of different, confusing images, but all giving the same sense of loss, destruction, and desolation. And, of course, the melody, the instrumentals, and the vocal performance all work together seamlessly to enhance what the poem is doing.

Another one I love, which is also a song plus poem, is "Hey Mr. Tambourine Man" by Bob Dylan. Everything I said about the brilliance of "American Pie" applies to it too, but of course the mood and message are very different.

Do you like either of those? What are your faves?
Endless-Starry-Mind
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-endless-starry-mind.html

Post by Endless-Starry-Mind »

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

My favorite song is the third movement of Henryk Gorecki's The Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, a poignant work for cantata/operatic soprano and orchestra. As for my favorite poem? It's a tie between Shakespeare's "The Rape of Lucrece" and Tennyson's "Maud." Both are long narrative works written in first- person POV. I also love Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night" as an installment of the 20th century genre. Edgar Allan Poe's "Ulalume," "The Bells," "For Annie," "The Raven," and "Annabel Lee" are also on my A- list. Great stuff. Can't get enough! Oh, and I recently got into the work of an important humorous poet of the last century whose name escapes me now but which I'll post later when I get to it again.

Ciao for now!
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Wow, Nathrad Sheare! You are very cultured. I feel like I know you better now, having read about your favorites.
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I like American Pie, too. :) I'm singin' it: "Byyyyyyye bye, Miss Americannn Pie..." :D I'm a HUGE classical buff, but my musical tastes are quite varied. I like Celtic music, Loreena McKennit and Enya especially, some pop, including a few of One Direction's songs (What?), Birdie, Shakira, some artists of the eighties and early nineties, and some of the songs from the "Breaking Dawn, Part 1" and "Breaking Dawn, Part 2" soundtracks. I'm into a LITTLE R&B, Adele being the only artist I like in that genre. Her song Someone Like You is the one I like best. I also like some country, Vince Gill, Dolly Parton, and Carrie Underwood being among my preferences in that department. Jazz... SOMETIMES I like it, most times I don't, but my relationship with rock has been long and loving. I particularly favor the Scorpions, Evanescence, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and the Cinderella ballads, though there are many songs and artists I can hear any day. Rap? Not a fan... There are VERY few artists of the hip-hop persuasion I can tolerate. Then there are oldies... Gotta love oldies... I'm a sucker for the songs Take Good Care of My Baby and Teen Angel to name a couple... Yeah, quite varied...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Love Love Enya too...( Orinoco Flow )....commercials are good for sumpin, first heard this HAUNTING melody as background music on a TV ad for Crystal light drink..

Ditto on Adele, " Rolling in the Deep " too...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

It's funny, the process of discovery. We never know where a good thing will end up. I like almost everything Enya does, and I DO like Rolling in the Deep, too. Adele is quite the inspired artist, isn't she?

Have you ever heard a song by RyanDan called Tears of an Angel? It's one of my favorite contemporary songs. Heartfelt. Beautiful.

-Edgar Allan Poe
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Nathrad!

was Ogden Nash the " humorous " poet you were trying to think of?..he and Dorothy Parker are my faves of that " genre "...

i would have loved to have been a " fly on the wall" during those Algonquin hotel lunches........i lived a stone's throw from there, but unfortunately it was way before my time...

don't know of the " tears of Angel " song, but i'll check it out............( still trying to solve my youtube probs...)

yes Adele is quite the " Artiste "...kudos to her for not " caving " and starving herself to Anorexic proportions.......

Nathrad, you would know, do you think she could sing opera?...( forgive my " frivolity ", but she certainly has the " heft " ).............for me her voice is so RICH...POWERFUL, and smooth at the same time...

of course what's KEY is whether she can hit those high notes...( pls fergive pun )....didn't even realize it till after............heeehheeee :roll:
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
elisabethae
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Sundays at Tiffanys
Currently Reading: Crossfire Series
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisabethae.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by elisabethae »

Some of my favorite musical artists are: Bon Iver, Rosi Golan, and Greg Laswell...also Drake
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Yes! Ogden Nash! I had to erase my internet history so was having difficulty finding him again. Computers... "Your memory usage is getting RIDUCULOUS, man!" Yeah, I had at least three notifications a day popping up. I think my system was ready to start cursing at me... in French...

Adele DOES have a big voice, and I've seen a lot of interviews with opera divas wherein they've admitted that extra weight helps them to carry their song more easily... I'm sure that with the right training she could do it. I could see it happening. It's unfortunate to me, though, that even opera is being affected by Hollywood's advertising, plastering the faces of trim and pretty newcomers on every opera web page to get people to attend shows and hit youtube videos. It's the VOICE that counts, people!!!! Not very many of the trim artists are that good, either... I think Netrebko is a little better since she gained weight, and I liked her before...

I liked your accidental pun, actually. :D I do think high notes are the most important things, but I think Adele could have the whole package... Hey, if Mariah Carrey can attempt it... I don't think she's too good at it, but it could happen!

-Edgar Allan Poe
mydarlingbeloved
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydarlingbeloved.html

Post by mydarlingbeloved »

Wake me up by Ed Sheeran, which is kind of a poem too. :D
LoveMusic_AK

Post by LoveMusic_AK »

Music because I relate better to music than I do poetry. Music just speaks to me!
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

Ugh I couldn't pick a favorite song to save my life, but my favorite poem is Ordeal by Nina Cassian.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
chiliabowl1998
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiliabowl1998.html

Post by chiliabowl1998 »

I love American Pie

Return to “Poetry & Music”