Tips for a Newbie Starting to Write Music

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
cosmic_juno
Bookshelf Size: 0

Tips for a Newbie Starting to Write Music

Post by cosmic_juno » 24 Jul 2019, 15:07

I recently started letting a few people read my poems. I normally hated doing that because of how personal they are to me but as I got more and more shockingly positive feedback it made me feel better about it. Two separate people, both musicians, have asked me to turn my poetry into songs for them or to write songs with them. One of them won’t stop sorta begging me (should I be flattered or annoyed?). But the thing is – I have no clue how to write music. I barely know how to write poetry. When I do it’s just a stream of conscious sort of thing. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some tips? I’m really struggling out with finding a style, as in like how to structure my phrases. I know what words I want to write but I don’t know how to make them sound best. Advice on that and really anything else would be greatly appreciated! I would love to make music, I just never thought I had it in me.
Thank you for reading!

spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by spirituallove » 18 Aug 2019, 11:14

Wow! You sound a lot like me. I would love to be a lyricist for a musician. I also write poetry since it just comes naturally to me. Sorry this reply probably hasn't helped you much with your question, but I thought I would share my enthusiasm!

Asunta
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by Asunta » 27 Aug 2019, 14:43

You should definitely be flattered! Compliments have become so rare these days and if there are people asking you to write for them and you're interested too, then definitely go for it! Don't aim for creating a chart-topper right from the start. That will divide your intentions. Be true to yourself, work in collaboration with those musician friends and just see how it goes. The more you create, the better you'll get at it.
All the best!
My faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life
- RM :tiphat:

Return to “Poetry & Music”