Is music of the past better than today?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
rituuuu05
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading: Free Will, Do You Have It?
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rituuuu05.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Is music of the past better than today?

Post by rituuuu05 »

Well I think it all depends on the lyrics. The better the lyrics the better the song will be
Ciska C
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: Unf*ck your intimacy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciska-c.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Ciska C »

I reckon there’s some current music that will make it into the classics! Probably not the mainstream stuff, but there are some proper artists that are making a real contribution to the evolution of music.

I do however love the storytelling of the older songs.
Chloe Saranza
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Chloe Saranza »

I grew up listening to old songs and fell in love with every single one of them. Storytelling is just amazing.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Anyone can interpret this question. But in my case, I can say yes. Music of today now more values the beat rather than the message of the song.
Konstantinos A 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-konstantinos-a-2.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Konstantinos A 2 »

Nostalgia tinted glasses are always going to be on when we look at classics of old, but let's not forget "bad" music came out in those periods as well. It just didn't stand the test of time and faded to obscurity, thus everyone only the classics are revered.

Similarly, the "bad" music of today is in focus solely because it's new. Give it a few decades and most of the chart music of today will also be forgotten. Then, the "good" music of today will survive, and be used in the "back in the good old days music was good, now today's stuff is junk" argument. The cycle continues. It's nothing new.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

not so much of the past past but from 2005 to 20015 have the best songs
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Kayla_Sanders
Currently Reading: Iron Widow
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-sanders.html
Latest Review: Signs in the Rearview Mirror by Kelly Smith

Post by Kayla_Sanders »

I wouldn't say it's necessarily "better", but it's really about what someone's personal preference is! I love 80's classic rock and pop music, which was a while before I was even born. To me, it has a lot of distinct charm, but to someone else, it may not. I enjoy both today's music and music of the past. Music is timeless!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” – Charles W. Eliot
Sarah Eliza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-eliza.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Sarah Eliza »

Absolutely yes! I listen to classic artists like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin etc. and I am always impressed by the lyrics. There is virtually no repetition, but more of a full story. Choruses were pretty rare, but the songs were extremely easy to learn, remember and sing. For reference, just look up "Clementine" (Bobby Darin) to see a long song with basically no chorus.
The love songs too.....just so romantic and classy. The songs just had so much more substance and depth.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

i wouldnt say better. I just think it evolves with the times. And if the music is speaking to you it doesn't matter the time it was released
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Its kind of true but still there are good songs today.
WALULYA SAUL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by WALULYA SAUL »

yes,nothing will blow off it,
today music gets off my soul early but past music every time it plays it sounds perfect.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I feel music of the past beats today's music especially when it has to do with lyrics, most especially love songs. When you listen to songs like "When a man loves a woman" and "To love a Woman", one would truly feel like falling in love
Lightteee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lightteee »

I think the answer to this question is subjective; different songs from the past may not be as good as the ones now, also musical genres have evolved and new genres are emerging. There is also the talk of lyrical content, this here depends on the targeted audience and honestly art is subject to the artist. I do not like to say any is better, but I do have prefer some old songs to new ones, because many songs of these days are bland, vain, lack emotion and depth and also are made by popular demand.
While there were more calm songs before, there are a lot of upbeat songs today. We should consider the advancement in sound technology and engineering as well. No hard feelings, but I'd prefer an artist who isn't entirely dependent on autotune.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I think that today music is as good as yesterday's. I find it funny and fake when young people say that music of the past was better. It's their way to tryna be cool but it's fake though.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

Yes it is!!!

Return to “Poetry & Music”