Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Re: Overall rating and opinion of Defending Jacob

Post by SharisseEM »

I'm a little on the fence with this book. I love it but at the same time I kind of don't. The idea is great but I felt the urge to throttle Andy and Jacob at times. Not appropriate thoughts considering the nature of the book. To me, this book was more about how far a parent would go for their child (kind of like Taken) and trying to believe in the good of their child despite the piling evidence against them (...okay, not like Taken). It was an emotional rollercoaster for Andy and I really felt for him. As truths keep coming out, doubts appear and every time he tries to fight them away with the happy memories of Jacob which just causes him even more grief. It was a good book though and it really got me thinking all throughout.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I'm still torn on whether or not I liked the book. I had a hard time buying into the wife character and parts really drug on. The writing drove me crazy, but I enjoyed trying to figure out if Ben was innocent or not. I finished it and I was glad I did, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to others. I thought it was because I listened to it, but based off some other comments, maybe it wasn't the narrator.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I loved this book! The writing was good, it kept me intrigued and the story was just amazing. I loved how the author doesn't spell everything out. He leaves a lot for us to decide how we want to interpret the story. I read this book in one day because the suspense of not knowing if the boy really was guilty drove me crazy, in a good way. The plot twist in the very end was so unsuspected for me. There was not one boring moment in the whole book. I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

3 out of 4. I really did like this book! I thought the story went at a good pace, and I agree there wasn't really a truly boring part in the book. The characters were insanely frustrating at times! Andy's refusal to believe Jacob was guilty throughout the whole book made me want to yell at him to open his eyes, and he seemed juvenile, with all of his nicknames for people and judgemental thoughts. Laurie grew on me as she started to realize her son wasn't the perfect little angel she thought he was.

Of all the twists and turns near the end, the one that got me the most was the last one! The thing with Patz shocked me at first but then I quickly realized it was too neat and perfect and something was up. I liked how the ongoing dialogue between Logiudice and Andy seemed to turn from one case to the next, ending with that big twist.
ceg-reynolds
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceg-reynolds.html

Post by ceg-reynolds »

I thought this was a really good book. It got into so many topics that could be discussed such as parenting and genetic disposition. A great one for a book club! I would definitely recommend this book.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I decided to start reading the book because I thought that the cover was a unique view of something
seen everyday- someone sitting on a park bench. The story kept my attention by presenting how a
usually placid town reacts when a tragic event happens to someone they know. I would rate the book
3 out of 4 stars because the story is compelling. I read the book, so I would recommend it to readers
who like to read mysteries, crime drama or possibly juvenile fiction.
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

First things first, the plot was really good. The book was well thought-out, a well written piece.
But the characters weren't as much developed as I'd have wanted them to be. For instance, I've no idea if Ben's really guilty or not, though I think he's on the negative side. And then Laurie's reaction to Andy's family history was quite unexpected considering how Andy described her as his soulmate. Andy was the only character whom we get a real idea about, but I think mostly the author leaves it out to the readers to decide what character is which way and not.
All said, I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves suspense thrillers or anyone willing to try them! :D
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I thought the book was really interesting and it was also a refreshing change of pace. I normally read fiction books and so I didn't think a book like this would be interesting but I was wrong. I also found the book to be educational.
MVsummer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MVsummer »

Incredible read. Every parent can put themselves in Jacobs parents situation, what to do, what to do?????? So many emotions, a struggle.
Angie Fernandez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1071
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I loved William Landay's "Defending Jacob", and thought his writing was reminiscent of Jodi Picoult. I found this book to be suspenseful, heartbreaking, and morally challenging all at once. Throughout the book, I questioned what I would have done if put in the same position as Andy and Laurie.
The family drama and courtroom scenes were riveting and chilling, to say the least. I also couldn't help but draw parallels to all of the online bullying in the news, and I was intrigued by the exploration of the "murder gene". Overall, the story haunts you as you contemplate, "Can you love someone but still question their innocence?" I gave this book a solid 5 out of 5 stars!

Return to “"Defending Jacob" by William Landay”