Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Wicked Wives"

Discuss the July 2015 book of the month, The Wicked Wives: A Novel Based on a True Story by Gus Pelagatti.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Wicked Wives"

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
Escapeartist wrote: The quote above is my mistake that brought that on, but your take makes sense too. I'm glad you're liking the book!!
HA HA, yep that's the origin. I do like your take on it too, Lovely Lorelei!!

Hm... what would be a useful sample sentence?

"Buddy, I'm not sure about your engagement. You might be marrying one of those purple wives."
"Dude, chill. Alicia is all heart."
Yep, I did see your original mistake EscapeArtist :)

And Zelda, thats a great example sentence! Please say you'll actually be adding this lovely term to the urban dictionary haha

-- July 16th, 2015, 3:01 pm --
Melissa Coffield wrote:Just finished the book. I loved it. Loved the twist at the end. I did a little research on the Philadelphia Poison ring on my own and found it very interesting. The author new his facts. I am wondering though, why he chose to change some names and not others or I guess why he couldn't use all of their real names. It was a fantastic read though. You just can't believe some of the things this group was capable of.
My guess would be that either some of the names had to be changed for legal reasons or the author took the liberty of changing their names because he wanted something more memorable? The first option seems more likely though; I bet there was some reason he couldn't use certain names, rather than choosing to change them.
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
mystery lady
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rogue</a>
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystery-lady.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by mystery lady »

I seem to be in the minority on this book. I think it would have been a better read if it was written as True Crime rather than as a work of Fiction. I was initially captured by the book at the beginning, but the story quickly deteriorated. I can tell from the discussion that other readers found many of the details in the book as unclear as I did. This book needs editing.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Just finished reading it and I loved it! Aside from the occasional grammatical error the book was a real page turner and I had a hard time putting it down. The suspense and the shock factor at the end of the story were perfect.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I really enjoyed this one. Although there are a few plot holes or places the book lost me, I'd give it a 3 out of 4 stars. The people in the book are enjoyable to read about despite how wicked they are. I loved the twist at the end. Great true crime story. Thanks for selecting this one for book of the month.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I don`t know why but I was thinking about The Crucible by Arthur Miller when I was reading The Wicked Wives. Maybe, occasionally, it good to be wicked. :evil:
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I throughly enjoyed the story. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting when I heard it was a true story. I was expecting more factual information and less of a fictional storyline. I was late starting it for the book of the month but once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. The twist at the end completely threw me. I wasn't expecting the lady in black to be Hope. I wonder if the storyline between her and Tom the DA, was true or embellished by the author. Does anybody know.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

Escapeartist wrote:I know, but no I truly think until someone re-reads that first part and tells me I'm wrong, that that part of the story was written incorrectly. It's a little disorienting actually, distracting from an otherwise interesting story.
I agree. The inconsistency bothered me.

Overall, there were many issues with inconsistencies or lack of credibility that marred my reading of the story.

However, it makes me want to research it more to see how much was truth and how much was fiction. On my list of things to do someday.
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That sounds like it would be a fun internet research project, for people who enjoying looking stuff up online!
Tega
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tega »

Please I'm new here how do you read a book in your library
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Tega wrote:Please I'm new here how do you read a book in your library
I am not sure what you are referring to. If you are talking about the books that have been reviewed, you would have to buy the book on Amazon or elsewhere, or see if it's in your local library. You can also join the Review Team and get future books for free in return for writing a review.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

A true story on greed,corruption,lust and murders and women juste killing for money.The twist at the end left me in a shock.The author has done a good job.I really surprised that this book were not turn as a movie because it would be very fascinating.I hardly recommend it to people who love suspense.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Anna-Lou is such a great storyteller. She managed to infuse this book with a lovely charm that will delight male and female alike.

Return to “"The Wicked Wives" by Gus Pelagatti”