Comma use

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

marydaurio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marydaurio.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Comma use

Post by marydaurio »

I have two questions regarding comma use and would appreciate your input as to why the comma's are not needed in these two incidences.

First sentence: ...came out of her mind, and is her "dream quest," .... (I was told the comma after mind and quest is unnecessary, can you tell me why this is. I was given a better way to write by deleting the (and is) just using a dash before dream and after quest. That sounds right to me i just don't know the rule.

Second sentence: .....from place to place, and time to time, is ...
Why are comma's not needed here?

Thanks for your help.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

For the first one, I would need a bit more context from the rest of the sentence. As it is, the comma before "and" is unnecessary because the clause that follows is not independent. If you had put "it is her dream quest" or placed another subject in front of is, it would be necessary.

For the second situation, the commas are more of a stylistic choice than right or wrong. If you are aiming for a more conversational tone of work, commas definitely fit. If you are trying to write with a formal tone, I would leave them off since they are not strictly necessary. Like the first situation, I would like to see the full sentence this snippet belongs to.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

marydaurio wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 10:17 I have two questions regarding comma use and would appreciate your input as to why the commas are not needed in these two incidences.

First sentence: ... came out of her mind, and is her "dream quest," .... (I was told the comma after mind and quest is unnecessary, can you tell me why this is. I was given a better way to write by deleting the (and is) just using a dash before dream and after quest. That sounds right to me I just don't know the rule.

Second sentence: .....from place to place, and time to time, is ...
Why are comma's not needed here?

Thanks for your help.
It would be helpful to see the entire sentences.

Nonetheless, I think a comma is normally fine before the coordinating conjunction "and" when in between two independent clauses. You've only got phrases and not independent clauses in your samples.
(Reference: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/coordina ... junctions/)

If you've got at least three parallel elements in the sentence, then an Oxford comma is at times acceptable.
(Reference: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/oxford-comma-debate/)
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

Oh my, I too am suffering from comma usage, over usage and not enough usage. When I believe it should be inserted, it turns out I should not have. I sometimes feel that using commas just like the explanation mark may be a personal choice I really do not know. Does anyone know of a dedicated website or book that pertains to using commas effectively? Oh wait, I see a few links above. :)
marydaurio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marydaurio.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by marydaurio »

Thanks, and yes the links help too.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

Very helpful conversation you've got going on here. I have the same issue as I have been either told I added to many commas or ommited commas. Thanks for the links, I'd definitely check them out.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I really like this part of the forum. Strangely, it was not visible until now. I just noticed it! Thanks to OBC!
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I've also just found this and am reading with interest. It seems many of us here have a problem with commas - either too many or too few! I see the links given are Grammarly links, which leads me to yet another problem. I am often "informed" by Grammarly that I should insert a comma, which I do. I then get my editorial scorecard back, and I'm told I should not have used the comma. I then lose 10 points just for one comma!
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Sha_hrun
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sha-hrun.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Sha_hrun »

maritzaalston wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 10:35 Oh my, I too am suffering from comma usage, over usage and not enough usage. When I believe it should be inserted, it turns out I should not have. I sometimes feel that using commas just like the explanation mark may be a personal choice I really do not know. Does anyone know of a dedicated website or book that pertains to using commas effectively? Oh wait, I see a few links above. :)
I feel the same way too

Return to “International Grammar”