Comma/No Comma - Frequency Adverbs at the Beginning of a Sentence

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Comma/No Comma - Frequency Adverbs at the Beginning of a Sentence

Post by bookowlie »

I would like to get some feedback about whether a comma is required for a frequency adverb at the beginning of a sentence. I was able to find some information on a grammar forum that quoted the Chicago Manual of Style. According to the Chicago Manual of Style, the comma can be omitted.

Do frequency adverbs that go at the beginning of sentence need a comma?

Which of these alternatives, if any, is better?

Occasionally, I play football with my friends.
Occasionally I play football with my friends.
punctuation
shareimprove this question
edited Jan 16 '15 at 11:52

As neither variant is confusing, I'd use either, depending on whether I thought a pause sounded natural / desirable.

I often go swimming, and I love fishing, clay-pigeon shooting, and bird-spotting. I often go dancing. Occasionally, I play football with my friends.

but

I do get a reasonable amount of exercise. Occasionally I play football with my friends, but my real love is swimming.

If you want an authority to sanction this,

Chicago Manual of Style 5.69:

"When [transitional adverbs] are used in such a way that there is no real break in continuity and no call for any pause in reading, commas should be omitted.

Transitional adverbs are traditionally even more attached to their following commas than adverbs of frequency.

Note that some frequency adverbs require inversion if fronted:

Seldom / Rarely / Never does the king now venture beyond his palace walls.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

bookowlie wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 10:20 I would like to get some feedback about whether a comma is required for a frequency adverb at the beginning of a sentence. I was able to find some information on a grammar forum that quoted the Chicago Manual of Style. According to the Chicago Manual of Style, the comma can be omitted.

Do frequency adverbs that go at the beginning of sentence need a comma?

Which of these alternatives, if any, is better?

Occasionally, I play football with my friends.
Occasionally I play football with my friends.
punctuation
shareimprove this question
edited Jan 16 '15 at 11:52

As neither variant is confusing, I'd use either, depending on whether I thought a pause sounded natural / desirable.

I often go swimming, and I love fishing, clay-pigeon shooting, and bird-spotting. I often go dancing. Occasionally, I play football with my friends.

but

I do get a reasonable amount of exercise. Occasionally I play football with my friends, but my real love is swimming.

If you want an authority to sanction this,

Chicago Manual of Style 5.69:

"When [transitional adverbs] are used in such a way that there is no real break in continuity and no call for any pause in reading, commas should be omitted.

Transitional adverbs are traditionally even more attached to their following commas than adverbs of frequency.

Note that some frequency adverbs require inversion if fronted:

Seldom / Rarely / Never does the king now venture beyond his palace walls.
1. Question: Is "Occasionally" a transitional word?

Answer: Yes.

References:
a. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitions_(linguistics) (It shows a "temporal" transition of "frequency".)
b. https://www.smart-words.org/linking-wor ... words.html. (It has the "function of limiting, restricting, and defining time.")

2. Question: Is a comma required after a transitional word beginning a sentence?

Answer: I'm inclined to say yes but with reservations.

Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) 5.39 requires the comma(s) to set off a transitional adverb from the rest of the sentence per screen snapshot below. None of the examples where non-use had been allowed included transitional adverbs at the start of the sentence so far.

Thus, CMOS still runs in consonance with all the other references I've found stating that commas are required after transitional elements. If there are credible references which would say that it is not required, I'd be interested to know, too.

References:
a. https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ommas.html (This advises the "(u)se (of) commas after introductory a) clauses, b) phrases, or c) words that come before the main clause.")
b. http://www.englishessaywritingtips.com/ ... nctuation/
c. https://www.nova.edu/tutoring-testing/s ... commas.pdf
d. https://courses.lumenlearning.com/style ... er/commas/
e. https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/part ... dverb.html (This states that "there's usually a comma after the conjunctive adverb" but doesn't specify when, why or how it doesn't happen.)
f. https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli ... n_djvu.txt (This is the archived CMOS 13th Edition with screen snapshot below.)

CMOS transition adverbs.JPG
CMOS transition adverbs.JPG (64.78 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

In the instances you site at the beginning, I'd say either is acceptable. Much like you, I think it is dependent on the readability of the sentence. I've always heard that commas after opening clauses are only required if the opening clause is long (which is once again where we come to a crossroads because how long is long).
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Espie,
My request for feedback, and the info I attached, was regarding frequency adverbs at the beginning of a sentence, such as "Sometimes," "Occasionally."
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

bookowlie wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 11:15 Espie,
My request for feedback, and the info I attached, was regarding frequency adverbs at the beginning of a sentence, such as "Sometimes," "Occasionally."
That was what I was responding to, Bookowlie; thank you for your confirmation. I believe you've quoted information from the following post on another site: https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ma-occasio.

In your sample sentence (i.e. "Occasionally, I play football with my friends."), the frequency adverb "Occasionally" is used as a transition word that requires a comma based on the sources I've found so far and cited in my earlier response to your post. Even CMOS says so; none of the CMOS examples shows that comma omission after transitional adverbs at the beginning of sentences are fine; and, the CMOS examples only included those in other parts of the sentence.

The sentence "Occasionally I play football with my friends, but I'm not a physically active person." that you quoted is not a CMOS example; it was merely a response from the non-CMOS site's contributor.

Nonetheless, like you, I'm also interested to know if there are further references for the comma non-usage relevant to your query that support the above non-CMOS site's example(s).
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Microsoft Word automatically detects missing or erroneous commas. But, is it reliable, or another proofreading add-in is recommended?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Renu G wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 00:44 Microsoft Word automatically detects missing or erroneous commas. But, is it reliable, or another proofreading add-in is recommended?
I've found that the most recent version of Word misses quite a bit. I use it in conjunction with Grammarly. Grammarly isn't perfect either, but together, they do a good job.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Thank you for your response and suggestion!
roxy60sweet
Currently Reading: The Mistress
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by roxy60sweet »

The rule I followed for the comma was this: If you start a sentence with an introductory word or phrase , yes, a comma would be required. You do not need a comma if the word is used as an adverb in the middle of the sentence.

Return to “International Grammar”