Commas after introductory phrases

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Commas after introductory phrases

Post by Scott »

Is the following grammatically incorrect:

"In part one of the text, things happen quickly."

It seems different style guides do agree that if an introductory clause is not short, then a comma is required.

But they disagree on what qualifies as short. Namely, a few seem to arbitrarily state that it is only short if it is 4 words or less. Others seem to leave it more vague or give specific examples of exceptions with more than 4 words as "short".

Sources:
https://style.mla.org/commas-introductory-phrases/
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... tions.html
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's a tough one. I don't think I've ever heard anyone truly qualify what short is, except for arbitrarily as you state. I guess I always felt if it hindered readability of the sentence, then we had a problem.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 »

I don't know what is what but as far as that sentence goes, I see it as correct.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Grammar Girl specifies it as more than 3 words. Since there is no hard and fast rule, I do not usually ever count it as a true error when one is missing.
Amanda Stueve Pense
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astueve.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by Amanda Stueve Pense »

What about this case? I received this editorial comment on a review.
"Although probably a hats-off to Kerouac's On the Road,"- comma needed after "although"

But my thinking was that "Although probably a hats-off to Kerouac's On the Road" was one whole introductory phrase and the comma should go there.
If the sentence had been "Although, it's probably a hats-off to Kerouac's On the Road." (full stop) then the comma would go after "although"

Thoughts?
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

astueve wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 16:54 What about this case? I received this editorial comment on a review.
"Although probably a hats-off to Kerouac's On the Road,"- comma needed after "although"

But my thinking was that "Although probably a hats-off to Kerouac's On the Road" was one whole introductory phrase and the comma should go there.
If the sentence had been "Although, it's probably a hats-off to Kerouac's On the Road." (full stop) then the comma would go after "although"

Thoughts?
I agree with you on this. Commas are needed after introductory phrases and, in this case, "although" is part of the introductory phrase, not an introductory word. See some examples in number 2. of the link below.
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ommas.html
You could ask for a recheck and include a similar link. There is no guarantee the editor will return the points. Good luck.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

According to me, it depends on how it will sound if you read it aloud. There are different acceptable styles--some use commas while some do not use them. What is important is to be consistent.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I'd say "three's a crowd." Sadly, I don't make the rules. Grammarly also considers 4 words as "short," which is what I've been using as a guideline.
When an introductory prepositional phrase is very short (less than four words), the comma is usually optional. But if the phrase is longer than four words, use a comma.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Renu G wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 22:09 According to me, it depends on how it will sound if you read it aloud. There are different acceptable styles--some use commas while some do not use them. What is important is to be consistent.
I agree with this Renu G. There are indeed varying acceptable styles. And when I write pieces that aren't going to be scored (as our reviews are), I use fewer commas and do choose many of them based on the need for a pause in the rhythm of the sentence. But I find it is safer, in terms of an editor's scoring, to place commas according to English comma rules. The exceptions to these rules are a bit inconsistent, as are opinions regarding the need for a comma based on how the sentence sounds. Some editors will deduct for missing commas if the rules require one. I think the safest bet, if one is worried about their score, is to learn the comma rules and follow them.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Selina1211
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Selina1211 »

I'm sure hee is need a comma.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

That's new to me. From the first time I learned the rule about putting a comma after an introductory phrase, I was never thought about the length of the phrase.

Return to “International Grammar”