Pluralization with uncountable/countable nouns in complex sentences

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Pluralization with uncountable/countable nouns in complex sentences

Post by Scott »

Which of the following grammatically correct? Why or why?

1-- People with a penchant for exciting fiction with a well-crafted plot will love this novel.

2-- People with a penchant for exciting fiction with well-crafted plots will love this novel.

3-- People with a penchant for exciting fictions with well-crafted plots will love this novel.

I'm not asking which sounds better or which you would use. I'm curious which ones if any are strictly grammatically incorrect.

I think it's confusing me because the word fiction can be both a countable noun and an uncountable noun. Similar to the word coffee. So we could look at these examples too:

1b-- Customers who love coffee with a spoon will love this restaurant.

2b-- Customers who love coffee with spoons will love this restaurant.

3b-- Customers who love coffees with spoons will love this restaurant.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I think all the examples are grammatically correct because the nouns can be countable or uncountable. I didn't initially know that fiction could be countable and used to think that "a fiction" was incorrect, but the dictionary confirms that it can be countable.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

While all three are grammatically correct in both scenarios, the third does not sound correct to me for both.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Zora C Penter wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 13:32 While all three are grammatically correct in both scenarios, the third does not sound correct to me for both.
I agree. Also, I don't think I've ever heard of "fiction" or "coffee" being pluralized as above, though I've certainly heard of fiction books/books of fiction and cups of coffee, with the other parts of the phrases being pluralized.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 03:14 I think all the examples are grammatically correct because the nouns can be countable or uncountable. I didn't initially know that fiction could be countable and used to think that "a fiction" was incorrect, but the dictionary confirms that it can be countable.
I think all are correct except "exciting fictions." I have searched and searched and can't find any source that says "fictions" or "a fiction" are correct, as nouns, to describe fiction novels. I see it a lot. I think, in online definitions, when "fictions" is listed as plural of fiction, it is referring to untruths, not multiple fiction writings. "The fictions often spoken by politicians...."

"Gone With the Wind is a fiction that takes place in the South...." - Incorrect.
It sounds awkward, and I am thinking it is an error.
"Gone With the Wind is a fiction novel that takes place in the South...." - Correct.
It is a fiction novel (fiction as an adjective), but not a fiction. In other words, I don't think fiction can be used as a noun in this context, or a plural noun: fictions.

I would love to have a source for this, one way or another, so I am clearer about this in editing.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Eva Darrington wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 12:20
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 03:14 I think all the examples are grammatically correct because the nouns can be countable or uncountable. I didn't initially know that fiction could be countable and used to think that "a fiction" was incorrect, but the dictionary confirms that it can be countable.
I think all are correct except "exciting fictions." I have searched and searched and can't find any source that says "fictions" or "a fiction" are correct, as nouns, to describe fiction novels. I see it a lot. I think, in online definitions, when "fictions" is listed as plural of fiction, it is referring to untruths, not multiple fiction writings. "The fictions often spoken by politicians...."

"Gone With the Wind is a fiction that takes place in the South...." - Incorrect.
It sounds awkward, and I am thinking it is an error.
"Gone With the Wind is a fiction novel that takes place in the South...." - Correct.
It is a fiction novel (fiction as an adjective), but not a fiction. In other words, I don't think fiction can be used as a noun in this context, or a plural noun: fictions.

I would love to have a source for this, one way or another, so I am clearer about this in editing.
Excellent point about fiction. I didn't realize that the only time I had heard the plural was in the same examples you gave.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Coffee and fiction could be uncountable and countable (depending on context or meaning) based on the following information sources:

For the plural form "fictions":
  • The following link has some sentence examples: https://www.yourdictionary.com/fictions.
  • I found hundreds of usage instances (including those pertaining to the genre's pieces) through the Corpus of Contemporary American English portal. In comparison, the use of "fiction" has thousands, of course. Type in a word on the following link for more details: https://corpus.byu.edu/coca/. (Thank you, @jgraney8 for the site.)
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Espie wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 20:36 Coffee and fiction could be uncountable and countable (depending on context or meaning) based on the following information sources:

Thanks for this. It all depends on the meaning. It confirms that "a fiction" is used to describe an untruth, and is not a noun form of a work of fiction.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Eva Darrington wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 20:46
Espie wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 20:36 Coffee and fiction could be uncountable and countable (depending on context or meaning) based on the following information sources:

Thanks for this. It all depends on the meaning. It confirms that "a fiction" is used to describe an untruth, and is not a noun form of a work of fiction.
No worries.

I'm inclined to agree with you, too. Scott's sentence 3 may also pertain to "fictions" (and "plots") not merely with prescriptive writing terminology and definition in mind but also the more descriptive meaning and practical application of the word(s), i.e. untruths (and machinations). The sentence is not bereft of truth, especially if we're free to be creative in figuring out its context or if it's really meant to be written with a sarcastic tone.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar)

Thus, thank you as well.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “International Grammar”