When to follow the word "any" with singular or plural noun?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

When to follow the word "any" with singular or plural noun?

Post by Scott »

Consider the following examples:

1-- Without any reason, he jumped.

2-- Without any reasons, he jumped.

3-- The book did not have any error.

4-- The book did not have any errors.

5-- I wonder where the remote is. Do you have any idea?

6-- I wonder where the remote is. Do you have any ideas?

7-- I'll buy the car if the car does not have any scratch.

8-- I''l buy the car if the car does not have any scratches.

9-- Assuming there isn't any rule prohibiting it, let's do it.

10-- Assuming there aren't any rules prohibiting it, let's do it.

11-- Assuming there aren't any rule prohibited it, let's do do it.

12-- Assuming there isn't any rule prohibiting it, let's do it.

Which of those examples are grammatically acceptable? Which of those examples are strictly grammatically incorrect? What rules if any are there for the proper usage of the word "any"?

From reading it, I feel like the usage of the plural noun always seems acceptable (assuming the rest of the sentence is made to match). Thus, examples #2, #4, #6, and #8 seem to be acceptable.

However, the other way (using the singular) sometimes seems equally acceptable, but other times doesn't. #1, #5, and #9 all seem fine. #3 and #7 sound grammatically off to me, but maybe they are technically grammatically okay (even if less common).

Thus, as a writer, it might be best to use the plural form just to be safe since that always seems acceptable. However, as an editor or grader (or a computer programmer programming a grammar checker etc.), who is tasked with finding only objective errors in someone else's writing, would any of #1-#10 actually be technically wrong? If so, why? If they aren't all right, what's the rule to distinguish which of #1-#10 are right or wrong?

I believe #11 and #12 are both wrong. I include them to show that presumably the rest of the sentence has to also match too.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
teddyobas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by teddyobas »

The 2,11 are grammatically wrong
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Scott wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 12:34 Consider the following examples:

Which of those examples are grammatically acceptable? Which of those examples are strictly grammatically incorrect? What rules if any are there for the proper usage of the word "any"?

From reading it, I feel like the usage of the plural noun always seems acceptable (assuming the rest of the sentence is made to match). Thus, examples #2, #4, #6, and #8 seem to be acceptable.

However, the other way (using the singular) sometimes seems equally acceptable, but other times doesn't. #1, #5, and #9 all seem fine. #3 and #7 sound grammatically off to me, but maybe they are technically grammatically okay (even if less common).

Thus, as a writer, it might be best to use the plural form just to be safe since that always seems acceptable. However, as an editor or grader (or a computer programmer programming a grammar checker etc.), who is tasked with finding only objective errors in someone else's writing, would any of #1-#10 actually be technically wrong? If so, why? If they aren't all right, what's the rule to distinguish which of #1-#10 are right or wrong?

I believe #11 and #12 are both wrong. I include them to show that presumably the rest of the sentence has to also match too.
There are variables to consider. The main one with "each or any" when followed by "of" is if there are countable or uncountable nouns. If it is a countable noun, it needs to be plural. If it is an uncountable noun, it needs to be singular. This site gives a good explanation in Caveat 1: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sent ... agreement/. Based on this, #3 and #7 are grammatically incorrect. Your assessment on the others is correct.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

CatInTheHat wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 09:04

There are variables to consider. The main one with "each or any" when followed by "of" is if there are countable or uncountable nouns. If it is a countable noun, it needs to be plural. If it is an uncountable noun, it needs to be singular. This site gives a good explanation in Caveat 1: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sent ... agreement/. Based on this, #3 and #7 are grammatically incorrect. Your assessment on the others is correct.
@CatInTheHat, none of the examples I provided have the word "of" at all. I don't doubt that #3 and #7 are incorrect, but I'm still not grasping the exact nature of the rule that determines this. Can you explain that a bit more?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Scott wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 15:22
CatInTheHat wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 09:04

@CatInTheHat, none of the examples I provided have the word "of" at all. I don't doubt that #3 and #7 are incorrect, but I'm still not grasping the exact nature of the rule that determines this. Can you explain that a bit more?
I will have to go with "I was seeing something different" than what was actually in those two examples as I had a different issue on my mind when researching the issue. I do know that countable nouns are still a factor in determining whether it's singular or plural. If you go about half-way down this site: https://www.test-english.com/explanatio ... countable/ you will see an explanation of this.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

@CatInTheHat,

I believe the nouns in all 12 examples are countable nouns. So would you say that all 12 examples are correct (except maybe #11 due to a different issue with #11)?

Or would you say that #1, #3, #7, #9, #11, and #12 are all incorrect, meaning even the following are incorrect:

#1-- Without any reason, he jumped.

#5-- I wonder where the remote is. Do you have any idea?

#9-- Assuming there isn't any rule prohibiting it, let's do it.

?

MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Scott wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 11:26 @CatInTheHat,

I believe the nouns in all 12 examples are countable nouns. So would you say that all 12 examples are correct (except maybe #11 due to a different issue with #11)?

Or would you say that #1, #3, #7, #9, #11, and #12 are all incorrect, meaning even the following are incorrect:

#1-- Without any reason, he jumped.

#5-- I wonder where the remote is. Do you have any idea?

#9-- Assuming there isn't any rule prohibiting it, let's do it.@CatInTheHat@CatInTheHat

I think 1, 5 and 9 are fine. Awkward maybe but fine grammatically. I don't have any reasons that are new, just what I've mentioned before.

Return to “International Grammar”