Commas After Therefore?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Commas After Therefore?

Post by juliecsa »

Do you think there should be a comma after the word 'therefore' in this sentence?

"I do not know much about Nigeria, especially in that time period, therefore it was interesting to see the differences between their culture and my own."

I agree that if the sentence starts with 'therefore', it should be followed by a comma, but I was never taught to put one after it if it's in the middle of a sentence. (Grammarly also thinks it's correct.)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I would use one as I view "therefore" as an interrupter, especially since the part following "therefore" could stand alone without the use of the word "therefore." Remember that different spell/grammar checks don't always look at things the same way. Ultimately, the editor has to make an educated decision on whether or not it works in a particular piece of writing.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Post by juliecsa »

CatInTheHat wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 12:18 I would use one as I view "therefore" as an interrupter, especially since the part following "therefore" could stand alone without the use of the word "therefore." Remember that different spell/grammar checks don't always look at things the same way. Ultimately, the editor has to make an educated decision on whether or not it works in a particular piece of writing.
Okay, thank you!
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

juliecsa wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 10:25 Do you think there should be a comma after the word 'therefore' in this sentence?

"I do not know much about Nigeria, especially in that time period, therefore it was interesting to see the differences between their culture and my own."

I agree that if the sentence starts with 'therefore', it should be followed by a comma, but I was never taught to put one after it if it's in the middle of a sentence. (Grammarly also thinks it's correct.)
Actually, there should be a comma after therefore and semicolon before therefore because this is a compound sentence. It should be punctuated like this.
"I do not know much about Nigeria, especially in that time period; therefore, it was interesting to see the differences between their culture and my own."

It is a compound sentence because you are joining two independent clauses.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

jgraney8 wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 23:11
juliecsa wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 10:25 Do you think there should be a comma after the word 'therefore' in this sentence?

Actually, there should be a comma after therefore and semicolon before therefore because this is a compound sentence. It should be punctuated like this.
"I do not know much about Nigeria, especially in that time period; therefore, it was interesting to see the differences between their culture and my own."

Thanks for your insight. Would the same apply to 'however'?
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I agree with this advice. I thought the same thing when I read the sentence. I also think there should be a comma after 'therefore' because there is a pause after it when you read the sentence aloud.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

a9436 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 07:07

'However' should be treated the same as 'therefore', a semicolon before it and a comma after it when in the middle of the sentence.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

BookReader+6 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 07:24

'However' should be treated the same as 'therefore', a semicolon before it and a comma after it when in the middle of the sentence.
Thank you - it's always embarrassing to have been wrong for years but on the other hand brilliant to have finally learned the right way :)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

a9436 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 08:20

Thank you - it's always embarrassing to have been wrong for years but on the other hand brilliant to have finally learned the right way :)
I've been brushing up on my use of commas lately. I usually check with Google when I'm not sure whether to use one or not. No need to feel embarrassed! Happy writing!
(1466-1536)
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

BookReader+6 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 08:56
a9436 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 08:20
I've been brushing up on my use of commas lately. I usually check with Google when I'm not sure whether to use one or not. No need to feel embarrassed! Happy writing!
Just to clarify, however would have a semicolon before it and a comma after it if it is preceded and followed by independent clauses.

Example:
I have a cold; however, I still plan to attend the wedding.

In a simple sentence, however would have commas on both sides of it.

Example:
My friend with the flu, however, will miss the wedding.

Or when it comes at the end of the simple sentence, however is preceded by a comma.

Example:
I have a cold, however.

However does present a special case because it can be used to express degree or manner, in which case no comma is necessary.

Example:
You can watch the paint dry however long you want to.

In the last sentence, however is an adverb and not a conjunctive adverb.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for the clarification; I'm always happy to learn more!
(1466-1536)
Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Melekwe Anthony »

In my opinion
I feel it is optional depending on what kind of writing and style of writing.
Kind of writing including formal or English reports, it is preferred the traditional way. When used informally and in a literary work, literary license allows for filter.
So optional even in style
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I believe the comma after thereafter is correct, but I am certainly no expert on the use of commas. When I get points off on my score, that is the most frequent error the editor notes. I've tried using grammarly, and other editing sites to help me with this problem I have. The reviews I've done without using these editing sites are actually graded a little higher on average so I'm wanting to find a good editing site for my reviews as I still have the problem. Any suggestions on that? Keep in mind that a lot of the issue is probably my age as it was a very long time ago that I went to school!

Return to “International Grammar”