Grammarly: How Does It Work?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Grammarly: How Does It Work?

Post by Connie Otwani »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 19:14 I find my free Grammarly useful when I misspell words, miss capitalizations, and misname famous people or places. Like any other computer app, however, it won't catch all errors and may even suggest improper corrections. A user should still learn the grammar rules and take the Grammarly suggestions with a grain of salt. (For instance, since Grammarly uses US English, it will flag British spellings as errors.)
Spot on!
I also find free Grammarly useful. Even though it doesn't flag some errors like run-on sentences, word over-use etc, it tells how many of these are there (to encourage the user to switch to premium). This helps me re-check my work bearing the errors in mind.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 13:49
Has it helped with writing better reviews? Has your score improved by using it?
For me, it has helped because it catches some of many of the grammar errors. It also makes incorrect suggestions at times such as if you write something like few people will enjoy the book, it will most likely suggest a few people will enjoy the book. Overall though I find it helpful, but I have a decent grasp of grammar rules except for a few weak spots. It has helped me get my reviews closer to very good on the grammar scores.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

On the issue of "few" - Grammarly recognizes the nuances of the word. If you mean "some," "a few" is correct. "Few" alone usually means almost none. That's what I read from grammar sites. Thus, I prefer to use "some" to be on the safe side. Grammarly is no substitute for learning the grammar rules, but it is a good assistant. You still have to ponder its suggestions.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Cotwani wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 02:29
Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 19:14 I find my free Grammarly useful when I misspell words, miss capitalizations, and misname famous people or places. Like any other computer app, however, it won't catch all errors and may even suggest improper corrections. A user should still learn the grammar rules and take the Grammarly suggestions with a grain of salt. (For instance, since Grammarly uses US English, it will flag British spellings as errors.)
Spot on!
I also find free Grammarly useful. Even though it doesn't flag some errors like run-on sentences, word over-use etc, it tells how many of these are there (to encourage the user to switch to premium). This helps me re-check my work bearing the errors in mind.
Unfortunately, the only errors it seems to find are Premium errors. So far it hasn't helped me at all.
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

jgraney8 wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 19:59
Tiny_Turtle wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 13:49
Has it helped with writing better reviews? Has your score improved by using it?
For me, it has helped because it catches some of many of the grammar errors. It also makes incorrect suggestions at times such as if you write something like few people will enjoy the book, it will most likely suggest a few people will enjoy the book. Overall though I find it helpful, but I have a decent grasp of grammar rules except for a few weak spots. It has helped me get my reviews closer to very good on the grammar scores.
I'm glad it's helping you. It hasn't helped me at all. When it does find an error it says I have to get Premium before it will show them to me. It's very discouraging.
Ann Mattocks
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-mattocks.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ann Mattocks »

I am so glad I clicked on this forum! I've been using other free grammar checks because I couldn't figure out Grammarly, I don't recommend this to anyone. The other sites have given me advice that has caused me to lose points on my last review. I would recommend avoiding using Reverso and Scribens grammar checks.
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Ann Mattocks wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 20:39 I am so glad I clicked on this forum! I've been using other free grammar checks because I couldn't figure out Grammarly, I don't recommend this to anyone. The other sites have given me advice that has caused me to lose points on my last review. I would recommend avoiding using Reverso and Scribens grammar checks.
Have you found a grammar checker that you like?
Ann Mattocks
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-mattocks.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ann Mattocks »

After reading the directions on how to use Grammarly, I downloaded it and applied it to all my apps. I'm going to try it out for a few days and I'll let you know if I have found my favorite grammar check.
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Ann Mattocks wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 08:58 After reading the directions on how to use Grammarly, I downloaded it and applied it to all my apps. I'm going to try it out for a few days and I'll let you know if I have found my favorite grammar check.
I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us after using it. What type of device are you using? I'm wondering if it would make a difference to use it on different devices.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 15:59
Spot on!
Unfortunately, the only errors it seems to find are Premium errors. So far it hasn't helped me at all.
Grammarly is good and it helps but you are right that many errors are only with premium, i still use it but of course is not perfect and i dont like to rely on it entirely because sometimes it makes wrong suggestions, i think someone mentioned an example with few and that happens often so even when using it you should take it as an overview of your work and not a full editing. Its still helpful and i find the copy and paste better than the add to word because word checks some mistakes as well and those sometimes are not catched by Grammarly ot the other way around.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Fatima_Palacios wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 23:06
Tiny_Turtle wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 15:59
Spot on!
Grammarly is good and it helps but you are right that many errors are only with premium, i still use it but of course is not perfect and i dont like to rely on it entirely because sometimes it makes wrong suggestions, i think someone mentioned an example with few and that happens often so even when using it you should take it as an overview of your work and not a full editing. Its still helpful and i find the copy and paste better than the add to word because word checks some mistakes as well and those sometimes are not catched by Grammarly ot the other way around.
English is such a slippery language. I wonder if it's even possible to create a grammar checker that could do a proper job of it.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I'd just like to add (if it hasn't been mentioned yet) that you can actually change the language preference in Grammarly. Just go to your Profile and select whether you write in American English, British English etc.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

inaramid wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 23:59 I'd just like to add (if it hasn't been mentioned yet) that you can actually change the language preference in Grammarly. Just go to your Profile and select whether you write in American English, British English etc.
Hey, Kabayan! That's news to me. Does that hold true for free Grammarly? I hope you can select all. I'll go see. Thanks!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Miriam Molina wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 03:18
inaramid wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 23:59 I'd just like to add (if it hasn't been mentioned yet) that you can actually change the language preference in Grammarly. Just go to your Profile and select whether you write in American English, British English etc.
Hey, Kabayan! That's news to me. Does that hold true for free Grammarly? I hope you can select all. I'll go see. Thanks!
Yes! :) I'm using the free version, and I often switch between American and British English. You can just use one at a time though, so you have to remember to switch back. I think Canadian and Australian are the other options.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I wasn't aware of this, I'll try it ^^ thanks
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)

Return to “International Grammar”