Internet, wi-fi, and e-mail.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Internet, wi-fi, and e-mail.

Post by a9436 »

Hello,

I am both reading and writing about feminism and technology at the moment, and am unsure as to the correct British English forms of the terms in the subject line.

- If I write about the Internet, am I correct to capitalise the I? I thought yes, but many of my sources use a lower case i. Could this be a regional factor?

- I write e-mail, to acknowledge that this is an abbreviation of electronic mail, but I see email more and more frequently.

- Is it wifi, wi-fi, Wi-Fi, WIFI, WiFi, or something else? I have seen so many different combinations!

Thank you very much for your help :) .
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

All these forms are matters of style; there is no correct or incorrect form. What matters is that you be consistent with a form throughout your manuscript. If you use a certain dictionary while writing, for example, Oxford or Macmillan, it would be better to use the forms listed in it for consistency. :)
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

It is good practice to write the word correctly but there are words which are easily understandable whether one write it in any way eg e- mail or email
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

I always use correct spelling.I follow e-mail,Wi-Fi and Internet.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

The Chicago Manual of Style (17th edition) stipulates writing internet and email, although some other styles allow different forms.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

I believe that they don't have a correct and incorrect form, they are just preferable to be written as Internet, Wi-Fi and E-mail.

Return to “International Grammar”