Punctuation Standards

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Punctuation Standards

Post by Manang Muyang »

In a book I reviewed, the author (a word fanatic) mentioned that there's no single standard for writing in English. (The Spanish, French, and the Italians apparently have governing bodies for their languages.)

I believe Scott also mentioned in an earlier post that it would be difficult to pinpoint a particular "style" or "standard" to follow. So we will just have to do our best and hope that the editor who picks our reviews will speak the same English we do.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

As with most everyone else here, I get dinged with commas almost every time. I use 3 or 4 different grammar websites and inevitably every time I change a comma use based on the corrections, it is listed as one of my errors. It's very frustrating, to say the least. I'll get dinged for a comma in one sentence, then in another for no comma, and they are relatively similar sentence structures.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

raqstar1 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 06:20 As with most everyone else here, I get dinged with commas almost every time. I use 3 or 4 different grammar websites and inevitably every time I change a comma use based on the corrections, it is listed as one of my errors. It's very frustrating, to say the least. I'll get dinged for a comma in one sentence, then in another for no comma, and they are relatively similar sentence structures.
A big thing to watch for with commas is whether the conjunction is connecting two independent clauses or an independent with a dependent. The first uses a comma, the latter does not. My point is that your sentences might be similarly structured but that aspect makes a huge difference. Note that I did not use a comma before "but" as it connects a dependent clause with an independent clause.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 08:44
raqstar1 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 06:20 As with most everyone else here, I get dinged with commas almost every time. I use 3 or 4 different grammar websites and inevitably every time I change a comma use based on the corrections, it is listed as one of my errors. It's very frustrating, to say the least. I'll get dinged for a comma in one sentence, then in another for no comma, and they are relatively similar sentence structures.
A big thing to watch for with commas is whether the conjunction is connecting two independent clauses or an independent with a dependent. The first uses a comma, the latter does not. My point is that your sentences might be similarly structured but that aspect makes a huge difference. Note that I did not use a comma before "but" as it connects a dependent clause with an independent clause.
Please don't hate me as I get pedantic.
Actually, you should have used a comma before the but because aspect is the subject of your second independent clause and makes is the verb. There are two independent clauses in your compound sentence: (1) My point is that your sentences might be similarly structured, (2) that aspect makes a huge difference. Furthermore, "The first uses a comma, the latter does not." is a comma splice. You could use a semicolon to join the two. The first uses a comma ; the latter does not. or a coordinating conjunction The first uses a comma, and the latter does not.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

jgraney8 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 23:01
CatInTheHat wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 08:44
Please don't hate me as I get pedantic.
Actually, you should have used a comma before the but because aspect is the subject of your second independent clause and makes is the verb. There are two independent clauses in your compound sentence: (1) My point is that your sentences might be similarly structured, (2) that aspect makes a huge difference. Furthermore, "The first uses a comma, the latter does not." is a comma splice. You could use a semicolon to join the two. The first uses a comma ; the latter does not. or a coordinating conjunction The first uses a comma, and the latter does not.
I'm going to stand corrected on my example. Call it replying when I'm in the middle of watching my constantly moving nephew... In your example of the comma splice, either can be used: a comma or a semicolon. Often, a comma instead of a semicolon when the clauses are short. It is an acceptable stylistic choice.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:

Post by jgraney8 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 08:31
I'm going to stand corrected on my example. Call it replying when I'm in the middle of watching my constantly moving nephew... In your example of the comma splice, either can be used: a comma or a semicolon. Often, a comma instead of a semicolon when the clauses are short. It is an acceptable stylistic choice.
It may be acceptable as a stylistic choice, but do all the reviewers of reviews agree upon this? It appears that different reviewers have slightly different standards.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

jgraney8 wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 13:08
It may be acceptable as a stylistic choice, but do all the reviewers of reviews agree upon this? It appears that different reviewers have slightly different standards.
Do you mean editors? They are the ones that score the reviews.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:

Post by jgraney8 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 14:37

Do you mean editors? They are the ones that score the reviews.
Yes, I couldn't think of their title, but those are who I mean. Thank you for the correction.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

This is exactly why we need a style guide. Reviewers and editors need to be on the same page. Choosing one really wouldn't be a difficult task. We could borrow one of the numerous ones that are posted online for the public to use. Every college has one. It would assure that the majority of the published reviews would have a more polished and professional flair.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:

Post by jgraney8 »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 20:13 This is exactly why we need a style guide. Reviewers and editors need to be on the same page. Choosing one really wouldn't be a difficult task. We could borrow one of the numerous ones that are posted online for the public to use. Every college has one. It would assure that the majority of the published reviews would have a more polished and professional flair.
I agree. Hoping you don't rock someone's hobby horse makes writing for the editors frustrating at times. Most of the time they are correct. However, a style sheet would help with some of the times when an editor makes a big deal out of something the other editors miss entirely or editors may differ on like the Oxford comma. In fact, the Oxford comma should be an issue addressed in the style sheet.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

You guys are not alone on this struggle against comma misuse, especially if your grammar checker is unable to flag it.

I suggest if you have issues with its use, you must first understand these topics separately.

1 clause
2 independent clause
3 dependent clause
4 coordinating conjunctions

Then you can easily see their relation at the time.

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji
Books are lovely.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Mr Benji wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 22:54 You guys are not alone on this struggle against comma misuse, especially if your grammar checker is unable to flag it.

I suggest if you have issues with its use, you must first understand these topics separately.

1 clause
2 independent clause
3 dependent clause

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji
Thank you :handgestures-thumbupright:
jgraney8
Currently Reading:

Post by jgraney8 »

Mr Benji wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 22:54 You guys are not alone on this struggle against comma misuse, especially if your grammar checker is unable to flag it.

1 clause
2 independent clause
3 dependent clause

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji
If I may, you might also be helped if you learned how to use commas with subordinating conjunctions - because, although, if - in constructing complex sentences and adverbial conjunctions - therefore, however, furthermore - in constructing compound and simple sentences.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

jgraney8 wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 19:49

1 clause
2 independent clause
3 dependent clause

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji
If I may, you might also be helped if you learned how to use commas with subordinating conjunctions - because, although, if - in constructing complex sentences and adverbial conjunctions - therefore, however, furthermore - in constructing compound and simple sentences.

Thank you for the additional explanation.

I hope it makes it clear for everyone.

And everyone has to do further studies on this personally for deeper understanding.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 14:22

1 clause
2 independent clause
3 dependent clause

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji
Thank you :handgestures-thumbupright:

You really welcome.

I'm glad to be of help, Tiny_Turtle.
Books are lovely.

Return to “International Grammar”