UK v American

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Re: UK v American

Post by Helen_Combe »

Oh boy, the Green Party aren’t going to be happy with that description!
‘Salavaging’ was used in ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ when they were hanging and stoning people. I suppose they are being sent to God for their salvation.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 22 May 2018, 05:48 Hee! Underpass is British too (mentioned in a Smiths song!) but if you told me someone was green I'd think they were more callow than salacious.
In the US, green-minded people are those concerned with the environment and the preservation of Mother Nature.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

In the US, green-minded people are those concerned with the environment and the preservation of Mother Nature.
[/quote]

Yes, there's that too - as in the green political parties, some of which are quite prominent in this part of the world. Still, I'd say "inexperienced" is my first thought - Cleopatra's salad days, and all that.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

lbhatters wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 11:57
Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 11:28 We all know the ‘o’ v ‘ou’ difference between US and UK English (colour, flavour, favour, honour)

But I’ve been coming across a few that are new to me, so I’m listing them here.

UK - likeable US - likable
UK - kerb for a raised edge on a road (curb for everything else) US curb for both
UK - travelled US - traveled
UK - whisky US - whiskey

And the old favourites

UK - chips US - French Fries
UK - crisps US - chips
UK - football US - soccer
UK - rugby US - football
UK - American football US - football

Anyone like to add any more?
Your question promted me to look it up. I found a great article about it.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spell ... d-spelling

There are a lot.

analyze - analyse
apologize - apologise
behavior - behaviour
canceling - cancelling
catalog - catalogue
center - centre
check - cheque
color - colour
encyclopedia - encyclopaedia
favorite - favourite
fiber - fibre
fulfill - fulfil
gray - grey
humor - humour
jewelry - jewellery
labor - labour
license - licence (noun)
pajamas - pyjamas
practice - practise (verb)
theater - theatre
tire - tyre

to name a few.

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spell ... words.html
Thank you so much for the link :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
biscuits
Favorite Book: Life is an open secret
Currently Reading: How to win and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biscuits.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by biscuits »

PlanetHauth wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:56
Helen_Combe wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:36
PlanetHauth wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:16
I knew about most of these, and actually learned the other day where the UK uses double l's, the US uses a single (like in the example above), and as another commenter pointed out with analyze vs. analyse, where the UK uses z, the US uses s. I'm not sure if this is a general, broad-sweeping rule, or if it only applies to certain words, though.

The one that sticks out to me is likeable vs. likable. I'm American and swear I have never seen it spelled l-i-k-a-b-l-e. :eusa-think: And I swear I've only ever used the UK spelling in my own writing, but now I'm questioning everything. :?
Off the top of my head, I think the ‘z’ rule is for words that end ‘ise’ or ‘yse’.
I think both the likeables are accepted, but the one without the e is more predominantly used. Mind you, words change over time, so maybe popularity is shifting.

I came across a great one yesterday.

What I call pumps are called sneakers is the US
What I call court shoes are called pumps in the US.

I was totally bamboozled to find that American women apparently wear heels and patent leather while playing sport :shock2:
The 'z' rule you mentioned makes sense, now that I think about it.

:lol2: I bet you were bamboozled! I enjoy seeing the differences between the "two" languages. It makes me realize just how different the cultures are, even though the US stemmed from the UK way back when, and leads me down a great etymological rabbit hole.

Although, I think my favorite pastime is reading stories or comments discussing the UK's use of "fanny" vs. the US's use of the word. :lol2: I guess any comparison of the English language is fun to me, but this particular word and the conversation that ensues is usually pretty hysterical to me.
It is really bewildering that these 'two' languages have a lot of differences. Sometimes when you don't know the differences, you tend to mix them up (I've been a culprit). The posts and articles have really been an eye opener.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

biscuits wrote: 24 May 2018, 07:02
Helen_Combe wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:36
Off the top of my head, I think the ‘z’ rule is for words that end ‘ise’ or ‘yse’.
I think both the likeables are accepted, but the one without the e is more predominantly used. Mind you, words change over time, so maybe popularity is shifting.

I came across a great one yesterday.

What I call pumps are called sneakers is the US
What I call court shoes are called pumps in the US.

I was totally bamboozled to find that American women apparently wear heels and patent leather while playing sport :shock2:

:lol2: I bet you were bamboozled! I enjoy seeing the differences between the "two" languages. It makes me realize just how different the cultures are, even though the US stemmed from the UK way back when, and leads me down a great etymological rabbit hole.

Although, I think my favorite pastime is reading stories or comments discussing the UK's use of "fanny" vs. the US's use of the word. :lol2: I guess any comparison of the English language is fun to me, but this particular word and the conversation that ensues is usually pretty hysterical to me.
It is really bewildering that these 'two' languages have a lot of differences. Sometimes when you don't know the differences, you tend to mix them up (I've been a culprit). The posts and articles have really been an eye opener.
Funny enough, your username is one of the words that has a big difference depending on which version of English you speak. :lol:
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Another one I enjoy is that there appears to be some bowdlerisation over the work ‘cock’

We have cockroaches, the US have roaches
We have cockerels, the US have roosters
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Helen_Combe wrote: 26 May 2018, 02:22 Another one I enjoy is that there appears to be some bowdlerisation over the work ‘cock’

In the US, we say both cockroaches and roaches.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

CatInTheHat wrote: 26 May 2018, 08:37
Helen_Combe wrote: 26 May 2018, 02:22 Another one I enjoy is that there appears to be some bowdlerisation over the work ‘cock’

In the US, we say both cockroaches and roaches.
I didn’t realise that, thanks for the correction. We don’t use roach.
cyndisays
Currently Reading: The Doom Murders
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndisays.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by cyndisays »

Thank you for the posting. I’ve run across these as well. The list is long, however, it becomes easier.
biscuits
Favorite Book: Life is an open secret
Currently Reading: How to win and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biscuits.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by biscuits »

PlanetHauth wrote: 24 May 2018, 22:52

That is so true :lol:
Funny enough, your username is one of the words that has a big difference depending on which version of English you speak. :lol:
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

biscuits wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 02:15
PlanetHauth wrote: 24 May 2018, 22:52

That is so true :lol:
The "Hauth" part, I'm guessing? It also depends on your German too! We (my family, as it's our last name) pronounce it like Planet Hoth, the rebel alliance's base planet in Star Wars (hence my username), but I know it can potentially be pronounced as "how-th."
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
kgloving
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kgloving »

I've noticed a difference between the UK and American usage of subject-verb agreement. As an American, I'd say: My family is coming to my house for dinner. I've heard my English friends say: My family are coming to my house for dinner. We'd say: The media is fake. They'd say: The media are fake. (Both might be accurate in that case.) Examples go on and on. Can someone please enlighten me on this?
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

kgloving wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 16:59 I've noticed a difference between the UK and American usage of subject-verb agreement. As an American, I'd say: My family is coming to my house for dinner. I've heard my English friends say: My family are coming to my house for dinner. We'd say: The media is fake. They'd say: The media are fake. (Both might be accurate in that case.) Examples go on and on. Can someone please enlighten me on this?
I don’t think that is a difference between countries. That’s a common singular/plural mistake and is down to the individual.
Crainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow »

So, Which English is standard for writing reviews here? American or British? For instance, emphasise or emphasize?

Return to “International Grammar”