Newbie having comma issues

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Newbie having comma issues

Post by Bianka Walter »

Hi everyone,

So I see that I'm not the only one that has issues when it comes to commas. The last review I wrote was particularly dismal. There was a sentence that I questioned a few times, but in the end, decided it was right. I was wrong.
I would like to ask opinions on this sentence and get some feedback. It reads as follows:
"Ultimately, those things are swept under the rug as they are introduced to demons, telepathy and possession, and of course… monsters."
I understand that when listing things, commas are needed to separate the list items, however, in this case, I wanted to group telepathy and possession into one item.
Should I have chosen instead to use semi-colons?
Should I have separated the two, even though they went hand in hand in the book?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I would ask the editor to re-check and explain why. But don't do this if there were more than 4 errors mentioned, as it won't change your score if there are still going to be 4+ errors as you can only ask for re-checks 3 times. And no to semi-colons.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

CatInTheHat wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 14:27 I would ask the editor to re-check and explain why. But don't do this if there were more than 4 errors mentioned, as it won't change your score if there are still going to be 4+ errors as you can only ask for re-checks 3 times. And no to semi-colons.
Thanks so much! I feel really bad asking for a recheck. I don't want to sound unappreciative :oops: But seeing there are 10 points in it, I will.
And no to semi-colons. Thought so. Got it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I am a professional editor of more than 140 scientific manuscripts and have coordinated with scientific publishing editors for ten years. I have never known any publisher that has not allowed the grouping of several words in a list, as in your example. I think it is not incorrect.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
tanya shukla
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanya-shukla.html
Latest Review: Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by tanya shukla »

Comma is big issue in my writing as well, very often I am confused as to where to put,,,, any suggestions
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

I think you should have used "and" before the last listed word because one my think you have finished listing when you mentioned 'and possession'. I think it should be: "Ultimately, those things are swept under the rug as they are introduced to demons, telepathy, possesion and of course monsters.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Bianka Walter wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 12:18
"Ultimately, those things are swept under the rug as they are introduced to demons, telepathy and possession, and of course… monsters."
I understand that when listing things, commas are needed to separate the list items, however, in this case, I wanted to group telepathy and possession into one item.
Should I have chosen instead to use semi-colons?
Should I have separated the two, even though they went hand in hand in the book?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
The sentence isn't incorrect if you want to group "telepathy and possession" together but as you've seen, there's a danger of misreading. I would second the suggestion to submit a recheck request explaining how it was meant to be read. Otherwise, a solution could be to use "as well as" instead of "and":

Ultimately ... they are introduced to demons as well as telepathy and possession, and of course ... monsters.

OR: ... they are introduced to demons and telepathy and possession, as well as ... monsters, of course. (I don't like that as much as it weakens the emphasis on the word monsters).

My top tip: read the section on commas in the Chicago Manual of Style.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I agree that it isn't incorrect but when I read it I thought a comma would have been preferable. I may change my mind upon reading the entire paragraph to gain more contextual info but just seeing this sentence alone there wasn't an obvious link between telepathy and possession that didn't also include demons and monsters. Upon deeper reflection I can see that demons and monsters are beings and telepathy and possession are abilities so it makes sense if it is clear from context you grouped for a reason. That being said, I had to let it process for a minute before I came up with that link.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kfwilson6 wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 22:22 I agree that it isn't incorrect but when I read it I thought a comma would have been preferable. I may change my mind upon reading the entire paragraph to gain more contextual info but just seeing this sentence alone there wasn't an obvious link between telepathy and possession that didn't also include demons and monsters. Upon deeper reflection I can see that demons and monsters are beings and telepathy and possession are abilities so it makes sense if it is clear from context you grouped for a reason. That being said, I had to let it process for a minute before I came up with that link.
You're absolutely right. After thinking it over, it actually helped me with my next reviews. So instead of making a sentence wishy-washy, I've tried to be more clear. I did ask for a recheck and the editor did give me the points, but I totally agree that it wasn't obvious and I should have made it more so. Thanks so much for your feedback!
- Dr. Seuss
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I had a problem with comma and still have. I never used to put comma before"which". It is only recently that I learned I should put a comma before"Which" in every sentence that I have used the word somewhere between.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

No, Mildred, you should not assume that you should put a comma before which every time. Read the explanation on Grammarly about using commas with which. When the which clause is necessary for understanding the sentence, you shouldn't use a comma, but you usually will use that in those cases.

Here are a couple of examples from StackExchange where the comma is not used to set off the relative clause.
  • The computer which I bought yesterday has broken down already.
  • Do you have the screwdriver which you borrowed last week?
In each sentence, the which-clause provides defining or essential information for understanding the sentence.
When the clause is defining, essential, or restrictive (it depends on which grammar book you use), no comma is used.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

jgraney8 wrote: 18 May 2018, 18:00 No, Mildred, you should not assume that you should put a comma before which every time. Read the explanation on Grammarly about using commas with which. When the which clause is necessary for understanding the sentence, you shouldn't use a comma, but you usually will use that in those cases.

Here are a couple of examples from StackExchange where the comma is not used to set off the relative clause.
In each sentence, the which-clause provides defining or essential information for understanding the sentence.
When the clause is defining, essential, or restrictive (it depends on which grammar book you use), no comma is used.
"That" would work in both of the above examples.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

"That" would work in both of the above examples.
[/quote]

Yes, it would and may even be preferable to many ears, but which also works.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Wow! This thread is helpful! I also had some issues with commas. My review scores are very inconsistent. Thanks for the inputs here. Will keep coming back to read.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

I too have had some issues with commas and always use grammarly and scribens before submitting, but still managed to get errors - very confused

Return to “International Grammar”