Learned or Learnt

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

AlicinWelsh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicinwelsh.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Learned or Learnt

Post by AlicinWelsh »

This one always gets me. Is learnt a European saying? I read a lot of resumes and international students from Europe always use that word. Is it correct in the US?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It is not correct in writing in the US.There are some oral dialects that use it, especially in the rural south.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

As I understand it, "learnt" is also accepted in US English, although it is hardly used. Now, ths is not to be confused with the adjective "learned". Here that's the only valid option. This differentiation also happens in the past conjugation of other irregular verbs such as "burned/burnt", "dreamed/dreamt", and "spelled/spelt" among others.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

KRay93 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:51 As I understand it, "learnt" is also accepted in US English, although it is hardly used. Now, ths is not to be confused with the adjective "learned". Here that's the only valid option. This differentiation also happens in the past conjugation of other irregular verbs such as "burned/burnt", "dreamed/dreamt", and "spelled/spelt" among others.
Extremely informal, spoken English.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Winston Churchill, who was known for his oratory skills, used the word learnt liberally. I have seen others - English writers - use it too.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I am a professional editor (18 years). American English is "learned", British English is "learnt" (or learned). The rule for writing is you need to be consistent. Even though both are correct English, they could be rejected by a publisher if you toggle between two styles of English (British, American, Australian..etc.).

Return to “International Grammar”