Punctuation after abbreviations like e.g.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Nicola Bigwood
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Assassin's Fate (Fitz and the Fool #3)</a>
Currently Reading: Britain By the Book
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicola-bigwood.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Punctuation after abbreviations like e.g.

Post by Nicola Bigwood »

In British English, abbreviations like i.e. and e.g. usually include full stops (aside from some house style guides which exclude them, like the UK Government website). A comma usually precedes them when they are followed by a list:

She will go out tomorrow, i.e. not today.
He has eaten lots of food today, e.g. bread, cheese, ham.

This is demonstrated also on the Oxford English Dictionaries website in the grammar section explaining the difference between i.e. and e.g. (URL: en.oxforddictionaries. com/usage/i-e-or-e-g)
- and also in the dictionary section for the definition of e.g.

These sentences do not include commas after the abbreviation, though. For instance, British English would not say:
She will go out tomorrow i.e., not today.
He has eaten lots of food today e.g., bread, cheese, ham.

The exception would be in a longer sentence where e.g. is not being used to introduce something but is just 'another word' in the sentence, like it is in this one. For instance:
A comma is not required after e.g., unless the sentence as a whole requires one.
is correct in British English.

Is there a difference for American English? I'm curious because I had a comment on a review about a comma always being required after e.g. so I wanted to check whether this was standard American usage, and whether I need to follow American conventions instead in future.

The differences in all the varieties of English are always fascinating! :D

Thanks!
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

Your suspsicions are correct. US standard is to have a comma before and after the abbreviation, at least from what I've always been taught.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Nicola Bigwood wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 15:39 In British English, abbreviations like i.e. and e.g. usually include full stops (aside from some house style guides which exclude them, like the UK Government website). A comma usually precedes them when they are followed by a list:

She will go out tomorrow, i.e. not today.
He has eaten lots of food today, e.g. bread, cheese, ham.

This is demonstrated also on the Oxford English Dictionaries website in the grammar section explaining the difference between i.e. and e.g. (URL: en.oxforddictionaries. com/usage/i-e-or-e-g)
- and also in the dictionary section for the definition of e.g.

These sentences do not include commas after the abbreviation, though. For instance, British English would not say:
She will go out tomorrow i.e., not today.
He has eaten lots of food today e.g., bread, cheese, ham.

The exception would be in a longer sentence where e.g. is not being used to introduce something but is just 'another word' in the sentence, like it is in this one. For instance:
A comma is not required after e.g., unless the sentence as a whole requires one.
is correct in British English.

Is there a difference for American English? I'm curious because I had a comment on a review about a comma always being required after e.g. so I wanted to check whether this was standard American usage, and whether I need to follow American conventions instead in future.

The differences in all the varieties of English are always fascinating! :D

Thanks!
Your knowledge of British English grammatical rules is outstanding.I really appreciate your insights.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Nicola Bigwood
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Assassin's Fate (Fitz and the Fool #3)</a>

Post by Nicola Bigwood »

DustinPBrown wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 09:41 Your suspsicions are correct. US standard is to have a comma before and after the abbreviation, at least from what I've always been taught.
Thank you - that's helpful to know! Very different to British usage :o :lol:
Nicola Bigwood

Post by Nicola Bigwood »

ayoomisope wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 10:35
Your knowledge of British English grammatical rules is outstanding.I really appreciate your insights.
Thank you - glad to be of help!

Return to “International Grammar”