A trivial grammatical point ....

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

A trivial grammatical point ....

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

In the busses in our area there is a sign that requests 'Please do not play music too loud.' Now at first I thought that was wrong as it should be LOUDLY, eg, adverb relating to verb 'to play', but then realised that there was also an argument for the sign as it was, with LOUD as an adjective relating to the noun 'music'. Would you say both were acceptable?
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I would argue for loudly on the basis that it just sounds better? But grammatically, I think they're both correct?
Conorergosum

Post by Conorergosum »

I think in this case, I would go for ‘loudly’. If the adjective argument was to be made, it could just be rephrased as ‘please do not play loud music’. Although I do think both are grammatically correct.

An aside: shouldn’t it be buses and not busses? I would imagine the latter to be used in the context of say, ‘bussing a table’ or something on those lines... I hope I’m right.
Lincolnshirelass

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Thanks, both, for your advice. I didn't get the red underline for 'busses', so presumed it was okay - maybe both are!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I get the idea that this sign is where people are allowed to "buss" or "kiss" and hence loud music may not be needed, after all. I think both instances (including the one you cited) would just be fine. If this is a matter for the review, then the editors will have to decide.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 05:02 In the busses in our area there is a sign that requests 'Please do not play music too loud.' Now at first I thought that was wrong as it should be LOUDLY, eg, adverb relating to verb 'to play', but then realised that there was also an argument for the sign as it was, with LOUD as an adjective relating to the noun 'music'. Would you say both were acceptable?
Hi LL. I know what you mean but then I started thinking about phrases like "out loud". I looked it up and found out that 'loud' is also the adverb: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/loud

Talking of notices, I'm now remembering when Sainsburys changed their express till signs to "8 items or fewer" :D .
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Conorergosum wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 23:21 I think in this case, I would go for ‘loudly’. If the adjective argument was to be made, it could just be rephrased as ‘please do not play loud music’. Although I do think both are grammatically correct.

An aside: shouldn’t it be buses and not busses? I would imagine the latter to be used in the context of say, ‘bussing a table’ or something on those lines... I hope I’m right.
Hi Conor. According to Oxford, both spellings are correct: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bus
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

I think 'too loud' is alright just as you can also say' please donot talk too slow or do not shout too loud'.
Yours sincerely,
Bok48.
Books are lovely.
bridgemad

Post by bridgemad »

I agree that intent is important in the loud/loudly discussion, as is the size of the sign. Think about it.
I am firm, however, that "busses" is the correct spelling. Buses rhymes with fuses.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

In my opinion, negatives always cause complications.
‘Please play music quietly’ is more concise and less problematic.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Grammatically, both are fine. Now, wouldn't "too loud" imply that you can play up to a certain level, while "loudly" would further narrow such range?
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

“Loudly” is correct because the antecedent is play. You would only use “loud” if the sentence said, “Please do not play loud music.”
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

The plural of bus is buses according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Although busses is an optional spelling, it is no longer used in modern English.

Return to “International Grammar”