Punctuating quotations

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

+FSO+
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Punctuating quotations

Post by +FSO+ »

As a learner, I was taught that punctuation can be written inside the quotation marks. However, I read and learned grammar from two different world, the American English Grammar and British Grammar. So, I believe that it is based on what type of origin the book has. For some books, they were written by authors who are fluent with the American English Grammar, but others are well familiar with the formal British English Grammar. You can depend your use o standard rules based on the origination of the book or writing style you are familiar with as long as you follow a certain standard rule and know its basis.
blessedemmyboy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blessedemmyboy »

This is great. Am glad to have this at the back of my mind.
abasiekeme Ime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by abasiekeme Ime »

I, am Truly amazed, I've learnt so much going through all these comment, This is my 1st post, Thanks to you all,
Nicola Bigwood
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Assassin's Fate (Fitz and the Fool #3)</a>
Currently Reading: Britain By the Book
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicola-bigwood.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by Nicola Bigwood »

Hi,

Sorry, I disagree with Rosemary's original post at the top of this thread re. British English usage. It's true that we do put punctuation marks both inside and outside quotation marks, but it's not an inconsistency: it's in specific circumstances.

In British English, punctuation is included inside quotation marks if the sentence is direct speech. If, however, the quotation marks are being used to reference something cited elsewhere, but not in direct speech, British English places the punctuation outside the quotation marks.

For example:

1. "Hello," she said.
Punctuation inside quotation marks, as this is recording direct speech.
2. He described the character as "fat".
Punctuation outside quotation marks, as this is citing a reference but not direct speech.

There's a great explanation, including American English usage, on the Oxford English Dictionaries site in the grammar section: en.oxforddictionaries. com/punctuation/inverted-commas-quotation-marks

Hope that helps!

As CatInTheHat says, I've also had a review marked down for putting punctuation outside of quotation marks in an example of sentence 2 (which in British English is correct, but in American English incorrect), so I took that to mean that American English is expected here for book reviews - is that the case?

Thanks!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Nicola Bigwood wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 14:58 Hi,

Sorry, I disagree with Rosemary's original post at the top of this thread re. British English usage. It's true that we do put punctuation marks both inside and outside quotation marks, but it's not an inconsistency: it's in specific circumstances.

In British English, punctuation is included inside quotation marks if the sentence is direct speech. If, however, the quotation marks are being used to reference something cited elsewhere, but not in direct speech, British English places the punctuation outside the quotation marks.

For example:

1. "Hello," she said.
Punctuation inside quotation marks, as this is recording direct speech.
2. He described the character as "fat".
Punctuation outside quotation marks, as this is citing a reference but not direct speech.

There's a great explanation, including American English usage, on the Oxford English Dictionaries site in the grammar section: en.oxforddictionaries. com/punctuation/inverted-commas-quotation-marks

Hope that helps!

As CatInTheHat says, I've also had a review marked down for putting punctuation outside of quotation marks in an example of sentence 2 (which in British English is correct, but in American English incorrect), so I took that to mean that American English is expected here for book reviews - is that the case?

Thanks!
I've been told British English for spelling is fine. I've not heard, from the powers to be, that editors should accept other versions of grammar, other than American English. That would be a considerable amount of knowledge to expect from the editors, as I'm sure it goes far beyond just quotation marks.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

This is one topic I've always wanted to read more about. Thank you for the post, Rosemary!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

CatInTheHat wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 18:54 When I first started writing reviews here, it was made clear that the punctuation is to go inside the quotation marks. My first few reviews were definitely marked off for this issue. I'm fine with it. Consistency is important.
Just to clarify, is it established that reviews are assessed by editors based on American standards? In addition, if yes, does this also include spellings?
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “International Grammar”