Fewer commas,

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Fewer commas,

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Commas are a thorny issue, especially with "and". I grew up with British punctuation which does not use a comma with "and". I see Americans do, but then they don't use a comma with "but". I've been browsing sites, but I still get confused. I see one rule is to use the comma with "and" when the second thought is a full sentence. On the whole I go by gut feel and what helps the reader's understanding. Am I right? Who knows.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

There are various reasons for using commas. One is this: Commas are needed in compound sentences (those with two independent clauses) which use the conjunctions FANBOYS (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so. The commas precede the conjunctions.
You are right in saying that commas are used for clarity.
One reviewer uses this signature: "Let's eat, kids!" Commas save lives. (Sorry I can't remember his/her name.)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I use FANBOYS as a tool as well. I am thinking the same rule applies when "as" serves as a conjunction (with two independent clauses): "Marge decided to wear her gloves to the game, as she knew it would be cold once the sun went down."
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

jenjayfromSA wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 09:24 Commas are a thorny issue, especially with "and". I grew up with British punctuation which does not use a comma with "and". I see Americans do, but then they don't use a comma with "but". I've been browsing sites, but I still get confused. I see one rule is to use the comma with "and" when the second thought is a full sentence. On the whole I go by gut feel and what helps the reader's understanding. Am I right? Who knows.
Americans use commas with "but" when it's connecting two independent clauses. If it's connecting a dependent clause with an independent clause, then a comma is not used. Same rule for "and."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 10:42 I use FANBOYS as a tool as well. I am thinking the same rule applies when "as" serves as a conjunction (with two independent clauses): "Marge decided to wear her gloves to the game, as she knew it would be cold once the sun went down."
As here works much like because which is a subordinating conjunction. All the examples on the Merriam-Webster site https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/as use as without a comma.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays

Return to “International Grammar”