God and god

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Nitsua
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: God and god

Post by Nitsua »

It is always believed that there is one and only universally recognized creator referred to as God with first letter capitalized every other deity is referred to as god or gods if they are many
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

In the case of Christian religions, God is a proper name, much like Hank or George.

"Christians believe that God is the one and only god in their religion while polytheistic religions believe in many different gods."

In the example above, "gods" is referring to a category, not an individual with a name.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

God is being used by Christians and Muslims as a symbol of honour and respect. They use it because "God" is a name of their creator while gods are being used by people of other religions to refer to their idols or deities.
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Abfaniki »

MsTri wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 20:11 I know I'm several weeks late in commenting, but I just wanted to point out that in the example given, the only place "gods" is capitalized is at the start of a sentence, where every word should be capitalized vs. the word being lower-cased when used in other places, as it is in the example.

Or am I wrong? Should gods still be lower-case when starting a sentence to show the difference between God and god(s)?

I agree with you now based on the grammatical rule gods should be Gods at the start of a sentence.
let me illustrate. Gods of the land have been trying to cause death in the lands. while this sentence makes sense (functional) it is better if I say. The gods of the land have been trying to cause death in the land. the word 'the' is the determiner of gods. God in monotheistic religion is not used with the determiner the

like Mallory Whittaker and Juliusotinyo say the use of the word God in the monotheistic religion is used as a noun.

lol
at first, I thought it was because of reverence that we have gods and God.
so
MsTri wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 20:11 the determiner play a factor in have a sentence with gods. so you right(functional) in saying gods at the start of the sentence.
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 07:47 God is being used by Christians and Muslims as a symbol of honour and respect. They use it because "God" is a name of their creator while gods are being used by people of other religions to refer to their idols or deities.
true in a straightforward way
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 23:22 In the case of Christian religions, God is a proper name, much like Hank or George.

"Christians believe that God is the one and only god in their religion while polytheistic religions believe in many different gods."

In the example above, "gods" is referring to a category, not an individual with a name.
I like that concise and simple. what about starting a sentence with Gods
MsTri wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 20:11 brought it up i talk about since i am no english schloar what is ur take
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 07:47 God is being used by Christians and Muslims as a symbol of honour and respect. They use it because "God" is a name of their creator while gods are being used by people of other religions to refer to their idols or deities.
what about starting a sentence with Gods
MsTri wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 20:11 brought the question up?
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

Vivian Paschal wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 03:22
“No, they weren’t as… big as all that,” Inez said looking out at the gods.they “They just had a bit of an ego. Wanted people to be in awe and all that nonsense. Course, that didn’t stop them from letting people believe they were actually hundreds of feet tall. Gods are very good at talking themselves up. And people believed the stories they were told. You’d think by now people would know better than to trust gods. Gods lie about everything.”
I think this author did it right. Generally, gods is the right one to use here. Except, the author used Gods to start a new sentence. Despite the fact that gods is what he's referring to, the rule of starting a sentence with a capital letter still stands.

MsTri wrote:I know I'm several weeks late in commenting, but I just wanted to point out that in the example given, the only place "gods" is capitalized is at the start of a sentence, where every word should be capitalized vs. the word being lower-cased when used in other places, as it is in the exampe.

Or am I wrong? Should gods still be lower-case when starting a sentence to show the difference between God and god(s)?
So I think you're right.
I think she is right too but I talk about using the word god with a determiner. the monotheistic God does not use 'the' determiner. so she is right functionality.
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

BoyLazy wrote: 30 Sep 2017, 09:14 Capital G as far as I know is used for every type of God
why? the use of god and Gods has nothing to do with REVERENCE is an issue of grammar.
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 04:44 I wonder, though, if polytheistic religions may (if they had/have an alphabet) used a capital - for instance, would the Greeks have called Apollo and Zeus Gods, or the ancient Norse done likewise for Thor and Odin.
exactly Apollo and Zeus are Apollo and Zeus gods in their own right. but in monotheist religion his made is God.
the word pronoun is what talking about now
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Well, I would capitalise God in the same way that I would capitalise dad.
Upper case when it replaces his name, lower case when it’s talking about him in general.
I also wouldn’t dream of dissing other people’s gods with a lower case letter. Their belief is as strong and should be respected.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 11:56 Well, I would capitalise God in the same way that I would capitalise dad.
Upper case when it replaces his name, lower case when it’s talking about him in general.
I also wouldn’t dream of dissing other people’s gods with a lower case letter. Their belief is as strong and should be respected.
lol
What you said makes senses. :D :D :tiphat:
MThompson0605
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MThompson0605 »

Abfaniki wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 17:28 I am reading this book. The author use the word Gods. I won't say I was taught but I recall someone once told me that the word God should be capitalized when refering to Christian God only and that other deities or gods should be written with small g.

Is that right?
You are absolutely correct.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

That's what I was taught.
Yvonne_kadzo1
Currently Reading: