How to improve your grammar?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: How to improve your grammar?

Post by Star88 »

I think doing practice problems would help. The ones where you have to fix what is wrong with a sentence. Those helped me a lot. And when you are writing something, start from the last sentence. I used to label what every word was in the sentence.
imyhearu
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by imyhearu »

Hallo!

English is not my first language but English is one of our major dialect in our school. Even though I can speak and understand English still I can't perfect my grammar. My English adviser told me to read and watch English movies and summarize what I have learned.

mie
Yodik
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Yodik »

Grammar is very important. English language is very sensitive in terms on how you so far know about English language. Wrong grammar sometimes the beginning of misunderstanding because it can gives many meaning to what you are really going to say.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Nur syazwani wrote:
Hey alls!

Well, I have been speaking english since I was like 7Years old. I am not an american or and English person. I am asian. I do take English literature during my high school days and surpisingly I got an A for that subject. I can speak english very well and understand every aspect of conversing or reading in english. However, what really bugs me until now is that my grammar is absolutely horrible. Any one kind enough to help me improve on it? Feedbacks are welcomed :)

Yours sincerely,
Nur syazwani :

There are people of American heritage with twisted grammars too. It's the Asians who usually notice and criticize American people with twisted grammars and erroneous statements both oral and written. ?

To improve our grammars, we must be familiar with the parts of speech and the grammar rules, read more books, watch English movies, listen to music (- not a must to Muslims) and most of all, let's practice to make our grammar almost perfect. ? It's human to err.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I have also been speaking in English. English is a second language which I learnt from school. I am embarking on learning the American version which is different from the UK version adopted in most commonwealth countries.
In our country for instance, we say,"organisation". However even the computers we have since they are imported from the US and their default language is US, we find ourselves using the word,''organization''.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Ariana sandhu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ariana sandhu »

I️ would love to help.
Eko romansah

Post by Eko romansah »

Spending of time with writing english text, practice more
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

There are a lot of good writing handbooks that you can buy. Some go into the different academic writing styles (MLA, APA, Chicago), while also having chapters on proper pronunciation and sentence structure. They are helpful even to native English speakers and would help a lot of people on this website.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

I suggest you read more.
Baitemurumemuthakamw

Post by Baitemurumemuthakamw »

I would also wish so much to improve my grammar especially when I speak because I really love English. It is really great when one speaks well. I agree that one way to improve is through reading.

-- 27 Nov 2017, 04:48 --

Can someone kindly suggest a book that I can buy to help improve my grammar?
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Try this writing website from Purdue University. It has some exercises and a lot of great tips for writing and punctuation.
rodjy1love

Post by rodjy1love »

Hi all's
I'm Lamy a non native speaker I took some classes when I was 18 couldn't have a five phrases conversing when I was 22. I'm really bad guy anybody can help
Jibek+

Post by Jibek+ »

Hi, I think the best way to improve your English is reading texts, books paying attention to the main content,structure, word order in sentence.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I suggest you get elementary books on the basics of English language, also read books a lot and make the English dictionary your best friend.
Emiko07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emiko07.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by Emiko07 »

I'm lucky that I'm a fast learner.
Reading books, hiring a tutor, and always practice are the best way to improve your grammar. And also, discussing it with people would do.

Return to “International Grammar”