Typo or Spelling Error or Incorrect word usage - A second opinion would be appreciated.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jess Pumkin
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-pumkin.html
Latest Review: Memoirs of a Management Consultant by Franco Guazzoni

Typo or Spelling Error or Incorrect word usage - A second opinion would be appreciated.

Post by Jess Pumkin »

Hi there

Please can I get a second opinion on the error in the following sentence:"She didn’t remember, but she probably had a strong fear of living in some sort of orphanage with a bunch of ragged, retched things."

Herewith is how I've considered the error. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
J

Error 1: Uncounted: Typo (missing letter) or incorrect word usage:
Retched - wretched : She didn’t remember, but she probably had a strong fear of living in some sort of orphanage with a bunch of ragged, retched things.

Explanation:
The word being used is "retched", and this I am sure means "vomit" in both American and UK English. Perhaps the writer means the orphans are ragged, vomited out beings, in which case this is not an error. I would think though, in the way the sentence is flowing, that the character is expressing that orphans are ragged, wretched beings; "wretched" meaning, unhappy miserable and unfortunate creatures - which works well when describing orphans.
Jess Pumkin
:techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Jess Pumkin wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 13:25 Hi there

Please can I get a second opinion on the error in the following sentence:"She didn’t remember, but she probably had a strong fear of living in some sort of orphanage with a bunch of ragged, retched things."

Herewith is how I've considered the error. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
J

Error 1: Uncounted: Typo (missing letter) or incorrect word usage:
Retched - wretched : She didn’t remember, but she probably had a strong fear of living in some sort of orphanage with a bunch of ragged, retched things.

Explanation:
The word being used is "retched", and this I am sure means "vomit" in both American and UK English. Perhaps the writer means the orphans are ragged, vomited out beings, in which case this is not an error. I would think though, in the way the sentence is flowing, that the character is expressing that orphans are ragged, wretched beings; "wretched" meaning, unhappy miserable and unfortunate creatures - which works well when describing orphans.
I would agree that this is an uncounted error, and your explanation is spot on. :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Jess Pumkin
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-pumkin.html
Latest Review: Memoirs of a Management Consultant by Franco Guazzoni

Post by Jess Pumkin »

:tiphat: Thank you.
Jess Pumkin
:techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:

Return to “International Grammar”