X-year-Old + Noun or X-year Old + Noun

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

X-year-Old + Noun or X-year Old + Noun

Post by John Owen »

I'm reading a certain book and the author only hyphenates the first two words when stating the age. In my opinion, there should be hyphens between all three words if the compound modifier for age precedes the noun. I'm confused whether I should mark that as an error.

What are your thoughts? Is there a valid reason for the way the author writes it (say, ten-year old boy instead of ten-year-old boy).
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Hi,

My initial response to your question seemed straightforward: I agreed with your reasoning that it was an error. Then, I searched for a reference to support our position and found this little provision for using an en dash in certain multi-word modifiers. Aargh! I avoid using the middle-length dash whenever possible. The concept is when you have a phrase with multiple modifiers, if there is a compound noun, keep it open and use the en dash to more clearly identify the descriptive units. Aargh again! The first two references below cover this scenario, but it does not apply in your case. I just threw it in for free because I found it interesting. :)

Although hyphens can sometimes be omitted if the meaning is clear, having hyphens for only part of the phrasal adjective does not add clarity, and I would mark it as an error. The last reference supports this stance.

Thank you for asking your question. I learned something today!

https://www.grammarbook.com/blog/defini ... t-precede/
https://www.editorgroup.com/blog/to-hyp ... hyphenate/
https://www.tckpublishing.com/year-old-hyphen/
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

Considering that the author only hyphenates once when mentioning age specifically, I think it’s likely an error that the author isn’t aware of. If it were used in a unique context, I’d be more forgiving of it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that choice used in a professional literary work.

“Ten-year-old boy” reads like the age (ten) is important.

“Ten-year old boy” reads like the given age (ten) is considered to be old.

By opting for the latter example, you run the risk of supplying information that you’re not intending to convey.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Grammar is a BEAST. Haha! So. Many. Rules.

Return to “International Grammar”