Point of view--hyphenated?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Steinkar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinkar.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Point of view--hyphenated?

Post by Steinkar »

I was taught that whether or not "point of view" is hyphenated depends on the context. If you're writing about a viewpoint of a character, point of view is not hyphenated. But, if you're writing about the literary term "point-of-view", it is hyphenated to make it one term. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Steinkar wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 18:07 I was taught that whether or not "point of view" is hyphenated depends on the context. If you're writing about a viewpoint of a character, point of view is not hyphenated. But, if you're writing about the literary term "point-of-view", it is hyphenated to make it one term. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
I have never heard that “point of view” should be hyphenated. Although each word of the phrase has to be together to mean “perspective,” I think hyphenating it is not necessary. I would adopt the unhyphenated version.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Steinkar wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 18:07 I was taught that whether or not "point of view" is hyphenated depends on the context. If you're writing about a viewpoint of a character, point of view is not hyphenated. But, if you're writing about the literary term "point-of-view", it is hyphenated to make it one term. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
When "point of view" functions more like a noun modifier in its entirety, and it precedes the noun being modified, it is hyphenated.

For example, a point-of-view fact.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

No; it is for first time for me to see such kind of hyphonating.

Return to “International Grammar”