Could this be wrong?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Could this be wrong?

Post by Oye Timothy »

"I would recommend this book to people battling with PTSD, and to everyone as this book will reveal the ways on how to deal with PTSD journeyers."

The introduction of a comma before "and" here was flagged as incorrect. Could someone explain how because I'm really confused?
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

To my understanding, the comma is only used if the next part of the sentence is an independent clause, meaning it can stand on its own. So if the next part of the sentence after the “and” is:

“To everyone as this book will reveal the ways on how to deal with PTSD journeyers.”

You will see that that doesn’t make sense as a sentence, so you don’t need the comma. But if you were to cut the beginning part off to read:

“This book will reveal the ways on how to deal with PTSD journeyers.”

You would then use the comma. I hope this helps!
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Oye Timothy wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 16:24 "I would recommend this book to people battling with PTSD, and to everyone as this book will reveal the ways on how to deal with PTSD journeyers."

The introduction of a comma before "and" here was flagged as incorrect. Could someone explain how because I'm really confused?
In that context, introducing a comma before the “and” is grammatically incorrect. A comma should only be placed before “and” when it has been used as a coordinating conjunction (in other words, when “and” is joining two independent clauses). The simplest way to determine if a comma is needed before “and” is to read the part before and the part after the comma, each in turn. If each part makes sense on its own, then INTRODUCE a comma before “and.” On the other hand, if one part makes sense on its own while the other part does not, then REMOVE the comma.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

Why use comma on listing? you are listing; so you use onlly "and " as there is onlly two listings here. Just remove the coma; and consider putting a punctuation after "evereyone".

Return to “International Grammar”