"Recommended for" vs "Recommended to"

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

"Recommended for" vs "Recommended to"

Post by Scerakor »

As one of the reviewer guidelines clearly indicates that a recommendation is required when writing the reviews, this one is likely to pop up often. It was marked as an error in one of my reviews, but I'm not convinced it is an objective error. What is the official grammatical rules surrounding the (hypothetical) example below:

I would recommend this book for those who want to learn more about horses.

or

I would recommend this book to those who want to learn more about horses.

Is one OBJECTIVELY wrong to the point where an editor should be removing marks for it. The way that I understand it is "to" indicates the person or groups to which you would directly give the recommendation, whereas "for" indicates the final destination. For example, where it would make a difference could be with children's books. You can recommend a book "to" parents, but ultimately be "for" children between ages of 6 and 10. In the example on horses above, however, the "to" and "for" are the same person and therefore can be objectively correct.

Am I missing something?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This IS NOT the place for complaints specific to your review. If you believe the editor is wrong, YOU need to request a Recheck and you need to give support for your case. Including a website with the appropriate information will help you make your case.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 15:16 This IS NOT the place for complaints specific to your review. If you believe the editor is wrong, YOU need to request a Recheck and you need to give support for your case. Including a website with the appropriate information will help you make your case.
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm actually not complaining, nor have I (or plan to) submit a recheck. I'm interested from a writing perspective what is the proper international grammar rules governing the use of the terms "recommended to" and "recommended for" in order to ensure my enhanced comprehension of these phrases results in better products for the reviews of paying customers. This, I believe, is in fact the intent of this forum.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Scerakor wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 18:19
MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 15:16 This IS NOT the place for complaints specific to your review. If you believe the editor is wrong, YOU need to request a Recheck and you need to give support for your case. Including a website with the appropriate information will help you make your case.
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm actually not complaining, nor have I (or plan to) submit a recheck. I'm interested from a writing perspective what is the proper international grammar rules governing the use of the terms "recommended to" and "recommended for" in order to ensure my enhanced comprehension of these phrases results in better products for the reviews of paying customers. This, I believe, is in fact the intent of this forum.
Asking about the grammar rules is fine. The part where you talk about editors taking marks off is not.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 20:01
Scerakor wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 18:19
Asking about the grammar rules is fine. The part where you talk about editors taking marks off is not.
I completely understand; I included it for context. I figured it was relevant as, without it, there wouldn't have been confusion or a need to get clarification/guidance for future reviews in the first place. I'll ensure that it is left off in the future.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

Well both are right.. I don't want to confuse myself further.

Return to “International Grammar”