Comma Usage After Time Transition Word

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

heather_sidegigz88
Currently Reading: Zona
Bookshelf Size: 6

Comma Usage After Time Transition Word

Post by heather_sidegigz88 »

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, I'm reading something that uses multiple time transitions throughout the text, and a comma is never inputted after any of the transitions.

For example: "Then we would go to dinner."
"Later I will unpack my belongings."

The rule I looked up says that commas come after transition words, but I'm not sure if it's always the case. Should there be commas after time transition words? Would the above examples of "then" and "later" even be considered transitions?

Thank you for your time!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Some people choose to not use them after short transitions. It's not an objective error and considered stylistic.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
heather_sidegigz88
Currently Reading: Zona
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by heather_sidegigz88 »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 10:54 Some people choose to not use them after short transitions. It's not an objective error and considered stylistic.
Thank you for your insight! It is much appreciated. I thought it might not be a hard and fast rule, that's precisely why I wanted to double-check the information I stumbled upon earlier.

Return to “International Grammar”