When are racial descriptions capitalized?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

When are racial descriptions capitalized?

Post by Twylla »

I am writing a review for Prodigy Slave (a wonderful book) and I can't find a definitive answer to this question anywhere. I have a sentence in the review: "At this time in American history, an indentured Negro woman was considered to be a lesser creature. " When is the word Negro capitalized? The same question would apply for Asian, Caucasian, Indian....

Thank you!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Twylla wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 19:58 I am writing a review for Prodigy Slave (a wonderful book) and I can't find a definitive answer to this question anywhere. I have a sentence in the review: "At this time in American history, an indentured Negro woman was considered to be a lesser creature. " When is the word Negro capitalized? The same question would apply for Asian, Caucasian, Indian....

Thank you!
I was about to ask the same question. Were you able to get an answer?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

https://www.hamilton.edu/academics/cent ... disability

Capitalize racial/ethnic groups: Black, Asian, Native American. Depending on the context, white may or may not be capitalized.
Do not hyphenate a phrase when used as a noun, but use a hyphen when two or more words are used together to form an adjective:
African Americans migrated to northern cities. (noun)
African-American literature. (adjective)

Remember that language is evolving and context-dependent,
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Eutoc wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 13:56
Twylla wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 19:58 I am writing a review for Prodigy Slave (a wonderful book) and I can't find a definitive answer to this question anywhere. I have a sentence in the review: "At this time in American history, an indentured Negro woman was considered to be a lesser creature. " When is the word Negro capitalized? The same question would apply for Asian, Caucasian, Indian....

Thank you!
I was about to ask the same question. Were you able to get an answer?
no but I assumed if it reflect a person's culture, it should be capitalized.
Rabiul_tanmoy250
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rabiul_tanmoy250 »

it's I think cultural respect and also respect to these people
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Thank you!
The word ‘negro’ would be capitalized if it were a proper noun, in this instance it serves as an adjective describing the woman.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

It largelly depend on the context; on your context, "Negro" is a colour of skin so, I think it is better to be counted as an adjective- no need to capitalize it.

Return to “International Grammar”