punctuation in compound/complex sentence

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Icon punctuation in compound/complex sentence

Post by shravsi »

Older kids will enjoy it too though the story might seem too simple for them.

In the above sentence, my review editor has suggested adding a comma after the first 'too'. I also feel that the sentence sounds better with comma. But the reason I removed is that Grammarly marked it as punctuation in compound/complex sentence.
Grammar angels, please help me with what I am doing wrong?
I would also appreciate any links/resources/books/websites about compound sentences, as I am still learning the intricacies of English grammar.
Thank you :tiphat:
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Grammarly is not perfect and makes odd suggestions at times. The bottom line is that you need to know your grammar. Proofreading software is really only a back up to double-check things. Check Purdue's Owl website. It can be helpful. On that note, a comma would be appropriate after, "too."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 07:32 Grammarly is not perfect and makes odd suggestions at times. The bottom line is that you need to know your grammar. Proofreading software is really only a back up to double-check things. Check Purdue's Owl website. It can be helpful. On that note, a comma would be appropriate after, "too."
Thank you :tiphat:
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I personally think there was a need to include a comma after the first too. Sometimes we have to join forces between grammar checkers and our own knowledge.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I am not a grammar angel, but this might help:

3. In place of ‘however’ or ‘but’

E.g. “I do not usually drink coffee, though I’ve had 2 cups today.”

Used after a comma, in the middle of a sentence, the word ‘though’ (or ‘although’) can be used to
mean the same as “I do not usually drink coffee, but/however* I have had 2 cups today.”

Your sentence is a compound sentence with two independent clauses, so it needs a comma and a conjunction if the word is deemed an actual conjunction.

Grammarly likely considered the word "though" as a subordinating conjunction with a clause at the end of the sentence which would make it a complex sentence, so no comma was needed.

I think the comma might be debatable.

Return to “International Grammar”