Comma versus semicolons.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Comma versus semicolons.

Post by emidio125 »

The use and comma of semicolons is one things that I suffer with while writing my reviews or writing my texts. Even though I try hard to overcome this problem, at some point I end up repeating the mistake again. So my fellows I would like you to help with explanations on when to commas or semicolons.
NerdyVicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdyvicky.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by NerdyVicky »

I found this post because I have the same problem. I'll be checking this space for answers on when to use a comma and a semicolon. I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.

I really hope I get answers here. Thank you for starting this thread Emidio 125. Let's hope someone comes along with answers.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I found this post because I have the same problem. I'll be checking this space for answers on when to use a comma and a semicolon. I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.

I really hope I get answers here. Thank you for starting this thread Emidio 125. Let's hope someone comes along with answers.
I would suggest learning more about commas and semicolons by looking here: https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/index.html
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.
I had that same problem with semicolons! After I researched the semicolon rules, I studied the reviews of an experienced OBC reviewer who had excellent grammar skills. (They still do! :D) Most of their reviews included at least one semicolon. It helped to see the semicolon used in the context of a review; it was interesting to note how they balanced using a semicolon vs two separate sentences or combining the clauses with a comma and coordinating conjunction. I kept going back over their reviews until it finally clicked. That worked well for me. I haven’t had any reservations about using semicolons since then.
Hope this helps!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
NerdyVicky
Currently Reading:

Post by NerdyVicky »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 11:39
NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I found this post because I have the same problem. I'll be checking this space for answers on when to use a comma and a semicolon. I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.

I would suggest learning more about commas and semicolons by looking here: https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/index.html
Thank you so much. I'll be sure to check it out.
NerdyVicky
Currently Reading:

Post by NerdyVicky »

MsH2k wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:52
NerdyVicky wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:33 I feel like I overuse commas and have no idea where to use a semicolon. No matter how much I read about commas and semicolons, I just don't get it.
I had that same problem with semicolons! After I researched the semicolon rules, I studied the reviews of an experienced OBC reviewer who had excellent grammar skills. (They still do! :D) Most of their reviews included at least one semicolon. It helped to see the semicolon used in the context of a review; it was interesting to note how they balanced using a semicolon vs two separate sentences or combining the clauses with a comma and coordinating conjunction. I kept going back over their reviews until it finally clicked. That worked well for me. I haven’t had any reservations about using semicolons since then.
Hope this helps!
Yes it does. But could you please suggest these reviewers you studied so I can also stalk them for grammatical purposes only? 😅 Thank you so much.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

NerdyVicky wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 07:44
Hope this helps!
Yes it does. But could you please suggest these reviewers you studied so I can also stalk them for grammatical purposes only? 😅 Thank you so much.
:no-spoil: Aah, there are many excellent reviewers here! The beauty of the experience is discovering them. Featured reviewers and Members of the Month are good candidates to check out to begin your search. All the best!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

NerdyVicky wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 07:44
Hope this helps!
I would suggest reading several Featured Reviews.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

Apart from the grammatical rules to use semicolons, I normally use one trick of mine. in phrases that I cant use commas or periods, I use semicolons.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

The semicolon is like the cousin of the comma; you must use it to join phases that are related but are not dependent on one another. Most of the time it is used to connect two independent sentences that are related. I normally use control whether the second sentence is emphasizing the first in somehow then I use the semicolon.

Hope I could help
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

For the comma, have a look at Scott's post on International Grammar.
For the semicolon, simply put: it has more power than the comma but does not have the finality of the full stop. it is meant to link two sentences that will benefit from each other.
I always think of the semicolon becoming a symbol for those who survived suicide: it goes on despite it all.
Asya Shpakovskaya
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asya-shpakovskaya.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination: by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.

Post by Asya Shpakovskaya »

Emidio Mikwate wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 08:46 The semicolon is like the cousin of the comma; you must use it to join phases that are related but are not dependent on one another. Most of the time it is used to connect two independent sentences that are related. I normally use control whether the second sentence is emphasizing the first in somehow then I use the semicolon.

Hope I could help
I'd agree with Emidio. In my native language I've seen a lot of semicolons being used, however English authors prefer suprisingly rare usage of any punctuation marks, as it seems to me :mrgreen:
I would use semicolons in cases where you are more likely to put a period, regardless you want to keep both parts in one sentence.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Semi-colon is stronger than a comma but weaker than a full stop.

Use commas in lists or to separate things/words/phrases. A semicolon is mostly a full stop with less force. You can use it when you want to separate complete sentences but still maintain a link between the corresponding sentences.

The apple was red, round, and shiny.
I like apples; I always carry them in my backpack.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

I didn't know there are also number of guys with the same problem. I always feel inconfident when i use semi-colon.
Thank you for your advices and tips.
I expect more of the explanations guys!

Return to “International Grammar”