Question about punctuation before closing quotation marks

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Neoli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neoli.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Question about punctuation before closing quotation marks

Post by Neoli »

Hi! I have some questions about punctuation within quotations. Apparently I’ve used them wrong in one of my reviews. I disagree with what the editor has said, so was wondering what the consensus here is. My errors were placing the comma and period after the quotation marks like in the sentences:

1. This can be seen in the story, “The Amish Girl”.

2. This led to him converting 7 of his “enemies”,

The editor told me that the period and the comma should be placed before the quotation marks.

From what I've read, it is more of an American rule to put the punctuation within the quotation. From what I was taught (I'm not from America), the punctuation is only within the quotation if it's a direct quote. This is also the standard convention for us, so nobody ever told me that it was wrong.

What are your thoughts and would it be possible for me to request a recheck?
rachna_r
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itsrachna.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by rachna_r »

Hey Neoli, in American English period and comma are used before the quotation mark.
And in British English , outside. But we have always written them inside. American English has become more prevalent, so its preferable to go with it.
Neoli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neoli.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Neoli »

Thank you so much!!

Return to “International Grammar”