Confused about this grammatical issue!

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Confused about this grammatical issue!

Post by Renu G »

"I liked the illustration because of its beauty and creative concept in the field of fine arts."

Should it be written as "beautiful" because it is tagged with "creative" ?

1. In my opinion, the meaning of the sentence will change by doing so.
2. "beauty" and "concept" go together as two different reasons why the individual likes the illustration.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I moved your post to the correct forum.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Renu G wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 02:50 "I liked the illustration because of its beauty and creative concept in the field of fine arts."

2. "beauty" and "concept" go together as two different reasons why the individual likes the illustration.
I think it should be written as "beautiful". Being beautiful and being beautifully creative are two different things. The first is about the beauty of the illustration and the second is about the beauty of the creativity of the illustration.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Yes, these sentences have different meanings. The first is identifying both its beauty and its creative concept as reasons why you liked the illustration. The second sentence is identifying the concept as both beautiful and creative.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I'm not clear on what "it" you are going to change to "beautiful." If you mean the word "beauty," then no, you would not change it.

If you fill in all the words (just as a test) you would get "I liked the illustration because of its beauty and because of its creative concept." See?
Renu G
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Mallory Whitaker wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 14:20
Renu G wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 02:50 "I liked the illustration because of its beauty and creative concept in the field of fine arts."

I think it should be written as "beautiful". Being beautiful and being beautifully creative are two different things. The first is about the beauty of the illustration and the second is about the beauty of the creativity of the illustration.
Please could you clarify further? Your first sentence seems to contradict the second.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Renu G wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 20:55
Mallory Whitaker wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 14:20

Please could you clarify further? Your first sentence seems to contradict the second.
Ugh. I'm sorry about that! I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I absolutely meant to say beauty in the first sentence.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt (I'm far from an expert where grammar is concerned), but this looks like it could be a different issue completely.

If the features are being listed (its "beauty" and its "creative concept"), perhaps it would read better with a comma and another possessive?

"I liked the illustration because of its beauty, and its creative concept in the field of fine arts."

If you change it to beautiful, it would then seem to apply to the concept instead of the work as a whole, which is what this sentence seems to be going for.

Sorry if this isn't very clear. :doh:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Renu G

Post by Renu G »

Gravy wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 03:27

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt (I'm far from an expert where grammar is concerned), but this looks like it could be a different issue completely.

If the features are being listed (its "beauty" and its "creative concept"), perhaps it would read better with a comma and another possessive?

"I liked the illustration because of its beauty, and its creative concept in the field of fine arts."

If you change it to beautiful, it would then seem to apply to the concept instead of the work as a whole, which is what this sentence seems to be going for.

Sorry if this isn't very clear. :doh:
The possessive pronoun is optional, but the comma would be grammatically incorrect because 'and' is not joining two independent clauses.

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions ... -in-a-list

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comma-before-and/

Return to “International Grammar”