Books and websites for learning grammar

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Books and websites for learning grammar

Post by shravsi » 25 Aug 2019, 00:36

Though I can write in English, it's not my native language. I would like to learn grammar from basics.
There are so many writers around here. Could someone please help which books or websites, I can use, to improve my writing and grammar :)

TopaAzul062
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Favorite Book: The War of the Worlds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Selling with Presence by Reggie Pearse

Post by TopaAzul062 » 02 Sep 2019, 23:19

GrammarCheck.net and grammarly.com are some good starts. I make use of these along with some others to make sure everything flows properly. In addition to this, it's highly recommended that you looking into a grammar book or online publication as the rules of proper writing seem to be changing on a continuous basis.

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A Prince of a King
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: I Never Met My Mother (Trilogy, True Story dedicated abused children.) by Zhanna/Janna Sosensky

Post by Juliet+1 » 03 Sep 2019, 17:48

You might consider acquiring a "best-selling" book that is put out by a major publishing house, something you would enjoy. Then read it carefully and notice the sentence structure, word choice, and punctuation. Large publishing houses have a large staff, and every book they produce goes through an editor, a copy editor, and a proof reader, so the quality is quite good. E-books can be anywhere from wonderful to awful; they can't be trusted to be a good example.

Mounce574
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: Was I To Blame?
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mounce574.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mounce574 » 18 Oct 2019, 11:22

I looked through the Google play store for an app regarding spellcheck and grammar yesterday. I didn't find anything worthwhile as an app but I did find there were free grammar and vocabulary books available.
I cannot change the past because it is gone and I cannot tell what tomorrow will be like as it has not happened. What I can do is live today as life is happening now.

Mounce574
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: Was I To Blame?
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mounce574.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mounce574 » 19 Oct 2019, 12:49

Update! If you go to the Chrome Webstore and view it through desktop view, you can download grammarly on an android device. It is an extension from Chrome. You can also use it on a regular desktop or laptop. Passing on helpful information.
I cannot change the past because it is gone and I cannot tell what tomorrow will be like as it has not happened. What I can do is live today as life is happening now.

Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Nickolas Farmakis » 09 Nov 2019, 04:35

To check grammar, Grammarly provides excellent assistance and it is a great grammar checker that I use.

Return to “International Grammar”