"Equal Parts" or "Equal Parts of"?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

"Equal Parts" or "Equal Parts of"?

Post by MsTri »

In the following sentence, should there be the word "of" after the phrase "equal parts"? If you respond, can you note where you found the information? I don't think there should be an 'of', but I'm having trouble finding official proof either way:

"Dorothy was a lot more mature than her namesake, and Lieutenant Lou Dreyfuss was very flexible, showing equal parts leniency and firmness."

Thank you for any assistance you can give.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I would never use ‘of’ after equal parts. I would use ‘in’ before.

Here is a page that agrees with me

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/sente ... parts.html
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

MsTri wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 11:30 In the following sentence, should there be the word "of" after the phrase "equal parts"? If you respond, can you note where you found the information? I don't think there should be an 'of', but I'm having trouble finding official proof either way:

"Dorothy was a lot more mature than her namesake, and Lieutenant Lou Dreyfuss was very flexible, showing equal parts leniency and firmness."

Thank you for any assistance you can give.
Well, if I were in your situation I would solve the problem by replacing "equal parts" with "both." But if I absolutely had to choose I would not use "of." I've seen the version without "of" sometimes while reading, but I've never seen the version 'with,' and it just doesn't sound right.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I would usually use "equal parts" without "of", mainly for stylistics (which seem to be pretty common/accepted as well). Still, I think that the technically grammatical version would be the inclusion of "of".

Return to “International Grammar”