The New Lowercase Trend

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

The New Lowercase Trend

Post by Dan_Wellock »

I have been noticing on social media, text messages, and even grocery stores the new lowercase trend. As a preference setting, users of smartphones can disable automatic capitalization for proper nouns, “I”, and the beginning of sentences. When I see it, it drives me crazy! It seems like even the most fundamental and simple forms of grammar are fading away. I asked a friend of mine why she enjoys having the lowercase setting. Her reply was “it looks better, and I like it.” I personally do not understand how a grammatical mistake can “look better,” but that is simply my opinion. What is yours?
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

i (sorry!) actually like it. I think that is fits well with texting. I usually don't want the pressure of thinking about what I have to capitalize when I'm writing out a text message, so I just don't capitalize. The only exception is if I am talking about someone's name.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I agree with you on that. People are throwing away basic grammar rules for the sake of convenience. It is really silly.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I don't think much of it in informal use, to each their own. However, if I ever start seeing it in books (outside of stylization of informal dialogue, i.e. texts/emails/etc.), my head may explode.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I agree that the eta of text messaging has given rise to laziness in writing. "OMG, LOL and FR" drive me insane and cryptic messaging like that often leave me baffled. I prefer stating messages in full words and sentences. I was taught that at the beginning of a sentence that you capitalize the first word.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I hope this trend won't last long. I noticed that people don't give much importance to grammar, especially in the case of a text or a post on social media. The most common excuse I heard was based on time - it saves time. Personally, I care more about the quality of the text than the time used for an extra click.

Regarding this setting, I think I will wait for one (if it doesn't exist already) that will eliminate the space between words, punctuation, and capitalization - becauseibelieveintheequalityofthelettersandalsoithinkitlooksbetterandsimpler :no-spoil:
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “International Grammar”