run-on sentences

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

run-on sentences

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

1. Then the story skips to her sixteenth birthday, during breakfast Alex announces that he is selling her cow, Libby, on Friday. (run-on sentence)

2. I prefer when a book is solely about a single character and Iron Bark Hill was entirely focused on Natalie. (run-on sentence)

3. The chapters about her past were in the right places, they provided more information about her perspective. (run-on sentence)

4. This novel seemed like it was edited by a professional, I could not find a single error. (run-on sentence)

Are any of these not run-on sentences, because I don't think some of them are but I don't know for sure?
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I think if both, 3 and 4, had a semicolon instead of comma, they would have not been run-on sentences.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I would say the first sentence is a run-on and should be two different sentences.

In the second sentence there should be a comma after character, because those are two independent clauses.

Paragraphs 3 and 4 are not necessarily run-on sentences, but they would be more grammatically correct if they were two sentences or separated by a semicolon rather than a comma. They both contain two independent thoughts that are not connected by a coordinating conjunction.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I think you overused the comma, you used comas in places that you should use semicolon or period. That is why your sentences got tagged as run on. Try to use scribbens while profreading your reviews

Return to “International Grammar”