Conflicting feedback on comma’s

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

ccundall2130
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: Atonement to a Greater God
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccundall2130.html
Latest Review: Should I" Go Walkabout" in Australia by John Timms
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3258

Conflicting feedback on comma’s

Post by ccundall2130 »

I seem to be getting conflicting feedback. I’m including all of it so I can see point by point where I need to improve.

Grammar questions
*Sentence structure/Missing linking verb/Excess punctuation: What the book doesn’t talk about, and with a little more research, [is that] Annahita [is amazingly] creative and talented. --RESTATE FOR CLARITY: What the book doesn’t talk about, which I discovered with a little more research, is that Annahita is amazingly creative and talented.

*Do not separate the dependent clause: She is not only an author [remove comma] but also a photographer and artist.

*Do not separate the modifier from the word being modified: Granted, this book is her first attempt at writing, it left much to be desired as an [easy read romance].

*Comma placement: This book starts out interesting[,] and there are obvious language issues [remove comma] because the word choices were questionable

The antagonist in the end was surprising.
(The antagonist, in the end, was surprising.)

2)The book starts out with a Prologue and we get our first glimpse of the “insane” person terrorizing Rosemary.
(The book starts out with a 'prologue', and we get our first glimpse of the "insane" person terrorizing Rosemary.)

3) There are a few typos and punctuation problems that hurt the flow of the book but none of them were game changers.
(There are a few typos and punctuation problems that hurt the flow of the book, but none of them were game changers.)

4) This book has short chapters and I agreed to review it, so I continued past the two chapters.
(This book has short chapters, and I agreed to review it, so I continued past the two chapters.)

5) This book has a few redeemable qualities and I didn’t hate it.
(This book has a few redeemable qualities, and I didn't hate it.)

6)but there is still much development that needs done with this book.
(but there is still much development that needs to be done with this book.)
Crystal Cundall

Asking if I like reading is like asking if I like breathing.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Have you tried downloading 'grammarly' and putting your review through that before you submit it? It's not perfect by any means, but it could pick up a few of the obvious things for you.
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

I sure will try that. Thank you!
Crystal Cundall

CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 06 May 2019, 06:41 Have you tried downloading 'grammarly' and putting your review through that before you submit it? It's not perfect by any means, but it could pick up a few of the obvious things for you.
I use Grammarly also, and it not only corrects spelling and commas, but it gives me ideas on words to cut out and some redundant wording. I love it, but read it first because they occasionally come off-the-wall with some very strange stuff! :o
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I find that a combination of Grammarly and Scribens works quite nicely. BUT, as I've just commented on one of the other threads, I will sometimes add a comma that Grammarly has suggested, and then lose 10 points on the editor scorecard for the incorrect use of a comma! I am now adding a third factor to my checks: my own gut feel. Occasionally I just ignore what both Scribens and Grammarly recommend, and I've just received my first 100% review! :D
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

janinewesterweel wrote: 07 May 2019, 07:44 I am now adding a third factor to my checks: my own gut feel. Occasionally I just ignore what both Scribens and Grammarly recommend, and I've just received my first 100% review! :D
Thank you so much for the feedback! I just submitted another review using Grammarly and Scribens. I agree that the gut feeling is probably a good one to add! There are times that I am sure I am overthinking it! Great job on your review. I'm anxiously awaiting mine. 8)
Crystal Cundall

ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

CinWin wrote: 06 May 2019, 20:24
I use Grammarly also, and it not only corrects spelling and commas, but it gives me ideas on words to cut out and some redundant wording. I love it, but read it first because they occasionally come off-the-wall with some very strange stuff! :o
I thought Scribens came up with some weird stuff, too! Always better to read and re-read! I made that mistake before and I still miss stuff. :D
Crystal Cundall

janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

ccundall2130 wrote: 16 May 2019, 13:51
janinewesterweel wrote: 07 May 2019, 07:44 I am now adding a third factor to my checks: my own gut feel. Occasionally I just ignore what both Scribens and Grammarly recommend, and I've just received my first 100% review! :D
Thank you so much for the feedback! I just submitted another review using Grammarly and Scribens. I agree that the gut feeling is probably a good one to add! There are times that I am sure I am overthinking it! Great job on your review. I'm anxiously awaiting mine. 8)
Yes, always trust the gut! 😁 And I agree - some of these pedantic editor scorecards can make you overly paranoid. Thank you...and holding thumbs for yours! 😉🤓
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

ccundall2130 wrote: 05 May 2019, 15:45 I seem to be getting conflicting feedback. I’m including all of it so I can see point by point where I need to improve.

Grammar questions
*Sentence structure/Missing linking verb/Excess punctuation: What the book doesn’t talk about, and with a little more research, [is that] Annahita [is amazingly] creative and talented. --RESTATE FOR CLARITY: What the book doesn’t talk about, which I discovered with a little more research, is that Annahita is amazingly creative and talented.

*Do not separate the dependent clause: She is not only an author [remove comma] but also a photographer and artist.

*Do not separate the modifier from the word being modified: Granted, this book is her first attempt at writing, it left much to be desired as an [easy read romance].

*Comma placement: This book starts out interesting[,] and there are obvious language issues [remove comma] because the word choices were questionable

The antagonist in the end was surprising.
(The antagonist, in the end, was surprising.)

2)The book starts out with a Prologue and we get our first glimpse of the “insane” person terrorizing Rosemary.
(The book starts out with a 'prologue', and we get our first glimpse of the "insane" person terrorizing Rosemary.)

3) There are a few typos and punctuation problems that hurt the flow of the book but none of them were game changers.
(There are a few typos and punctuation problems that hurt the flow of the book, but none of them were game changers.)

4) This book has short chapters and I agreed to review it, so I continued past the two chapters.
(This book has short chapters, and I agreed to review it, so I continued past the two chapters.)

5) This book has a few redeemable qualities and I didn’t hate it.
(This book has a few redeemable qualities, and I didn't hate it.)

6)but there is still much development that needs done with this book.
(but there is still much development that needs to be done with this book.)
I am reading this as though the editor's suggested changes are in parentheses. It appears to me that the editor's comments reflect correct grammar and punctuation. Most of your examples involve commas with dependent and independent clauses. That can be tricky if you don't understand it. Here is some good information on that:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ommas.html

In a nutshell, clauses that begin with coordinating conjunctions (see the link) that are also independent clauses (complete sentences) will require a comma. Dependent clauses (incomplete sentences that need to be accompanied by an independent clause) will not require a comma.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I am using Grammarly to check my reviews (set on American English) and still manage to miss or put too many commas... It is frustrating because every comma takes away ten points of the review score. Now, when I am not certain about a comma, I just divide the sentence into two separate ones...
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

lucia_kizas wrote: 19 May 2019, 04:19 I am using Grammarly to check my reviews (set on American English) and still manage to miss or put too many commas... It is frustrating because every comma takes away ten points of the review score. Now, when I am not certain about a comma, I just divide the sentence into two separate ones...
That sounds as good a solution as any! I've completed six reviews so far, and I'm finding that my sentences get shorter and less complex with each review I write. As you say, every comma error costs 10 points, so why risk it? If in doubt, rewrite!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 19 May 2019, 08:06
lucia_kizas wrote: 19 May 2019, 04:19 I am using Grammarly to check my reviews (set on American English) and still manage to miss or put too many commas... It is frustrating because every comma takes away ten points of the review score. Now, when I am not certain about a comma, I just divide the sentence into two separate ones...
That sounds as good a solution as any! I've completed six reviews so far, and I'm finding that my sentences get shorter and less complex with each review I write. As you say, every comma error costs 10 points, so why risk it? If in doubt, rewrite!
This is me too. If I don’t know for sure about a comma, I will reword the sentence.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

unamilagra wrote: 19 May 2019, 10:40
Brendan Donaghy wrote: 19 May 2019, 08:06
This is me too. If I don’t know for sure about a comma, I will reword the sentence.
Glad to know I am not the only one :) that being said, I wish those commas did not cost the while 10 points as we only get 40 in total :)
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

Grammerly never catches my mistakes or any other grammar checker I use. These looks fine to me as they were. I have no idea either what to do. I can't figure out what I've done wrong.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Wriley wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 17:06 Grammerly never catches my mistakes or any other grammar checker I use. These looks fine to me as they were. I have no idea either what to do. I can't figure out what I've done wrong.
Unfortunately, no grammar checker is going to catch everything (or, in my experience, much of anything).

If it helps, you can look up comma usage rules. Commas are one of my nemeses, but I've gotten (a little) more comfortable with them this way.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “International Grammar”