Grammar Book?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Grammar Book?

Post by CinWin »

Could we get the name of a good book on the proper usage of grammar? (especially commas) What do you use at the OnlineBookClub site to correct our faux pas?
Does anyone else have a good one you could pass along?
Thanks!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Sekhmet September
Favorite Author: Tanith Lee
Currently Reading: Stranded In The Wild
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sekhmet-september.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
fav_author_id: 10199

Post by Sekhmet September »

These are very good questions that I would like to see addressed. I would love to know the rules I should be using instead of the rules I was taught and have been using since first grade. I understand that we are interested in quality, but I think the editors made up their own book and decided not to share it. I feel a bit set up to fail.
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11 1 NIV
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Sekhmet September wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 11:01 These are very good questions that I would like to see addressed. I would love to know the rules I should be using instead of the rules I was taught and have been using since first grade. I understand that we are interested in quality, but I think the editors made up their own book and decided not to share it. I feel a bit set up to fail.
I totally agree! Could a moderator answer this for us???
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I was taught to put a comma anywhere in a sentence you would naturally take a breath. Is that correct?
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: Atonement to a Greater God
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccundall2130.html
Latest Review: Should I" Go Walkabout" in Australia by John Timms
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by ccundall2130 »

I agree! I seem to get conflicting feedback. I use commas where I was taught and am told it’s wrong. And to add others where I was was taught not to. The next time, I do as I was told the first time and it’s completely opposite. There isn’t any consistency. Doesn’t it all depend upon MLA versus APA, etc? All have slightly different rules.
Crystal Cundall

Asking if I like reading is like asking if I like breathing.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

ccundall2130 wrote: 05 May 2019, 15:43 I agree! I seem to get conflicting feedback. I use commas where I was taught and am told it’s wrong. And to add others where I was was taught not to. The next time, I do as I was told the first time and it’s completely opposite. There isn’t any consistency. Doesn’t it all depend upon MLA versus APA, etc? All have slightly different rules.
I do agree with this. There has to be some sort of harmonization to bring everyone on the same page of understanding.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

When writing short pieces of any sort, I've always been given the name of a specific style guide to use, because grammar and spelling rules are not absolute, nor are they the same everywhere. New York Times, Chicago, and AP are the most common in the USA. Feels odd to be winging it.

Return to “International Grammar”