Can or Could

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Can or Could

Post by Julehart1 »

In this sentence, do you have to say “could” or is it possible to also use “can”?

“It was great the way the book showed how food, family, art, and love can all be intertwined.”

I know that this sentence starts in the past tense with “was” and “showed,” and “could” may be the past tense of “can.” However, isn’t it possible to change the tense because there is a change in time frame from one action to another. Obviously, the book was read in the past, but if you wanted to show that the food, family, art, and love are still intertwined in the present and not the past, should “can” be used?

I found many examples where tenses where changed mid-sentence. A sentence like “ She didn’t know he has a son,” for instance, changes tenses and is acceptable isn't it?
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

This is a good question. Even I wonder whether it is okay to have different tenses in the same sentence.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

I think the word ‘can’ should be used because it’s not only in the book that food, family, art and love are intertwined. These things are intertwined in many different ongoing situations in many peoples lives.
MahendraJayasinghe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MahendraJayasinghe »

The sentence is actually written in present,but includes a sentence formed with a WH question word which indicates general idea for present.using the word "can" is correct
Ashokn
Favorite Book: Immortals' Requiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ashokn »

Can could be used for different types of things that you have the option of using it.
sarwat rana

Post by sarwat rana »

''can'' is a simple word that conveys a clear idea, thought, image, but ''could'' sometimes is better, does not show clear thought. It is the rule of grammar we use both according to method or situation.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I think both are correct, but 'could' indicates uncertainty and would be a better choice.
sarwat rana

Post by sarwat rana »

OK, would be, a better choice for expressing the ideas.

sometimes, could'' does not express well according to the situation.

Return to “International Grammar”